What's in bloom today.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

My first bloom of the winter season. Rock and Roll, an African cultivar from White Flower Farm.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That's really pretty!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Alfresco, an African double from WFF

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey folks, I'm feeling awful lonely out here in cyberspace. Lets see what everyone else has in bloom right now. This is my last one for probably 2 weeks: Red Charm, a Dutch Double from Bulbs Direct. The bud has a pink tint to it before it opens. The open bloom is a very pretty red. The scape is very short, but I don't know if that's normal or the bulb is stressed.

Thumbnail by bsharf

Got my bulbs from JS, will have bloom in a few weeks!!!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The Alfresco really outdid itself: 3 scapes in bloom at once!

Thumbnail by bsharf
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

sorry B, no amaryllis action in Richmond. I decided to grow one indoors, Lady Jane. I should have a bragapic in 8 weeks, lol.

I found a Lemon Star locally, and planted it outside.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Joker, a pretty African small flowered cultivar from Amaryllis Bulb Company.

Thumbnail by bsharf

ahhhhh

Ewing, VA

Arrrgghhh! Busy, busy, busy over here. Gosh the holidays are almost here and "Santa wish lists" are already posted in my fridge...lol!

Here is what's blooming now...

Lemon Sorbet in it's third scape.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

I just love this one...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Amico....also putting out 3 scapes.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Look at that petal's very prominent central white stripe...a lovely one too!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Jungle Bells, Jungle Bells, Jungle Bells all the way...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

I get lost in that green eye..

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And a different shot with sunlight at the back. Funny how the digital camera has different responses to different lighting. First pic was taken indoors, and second pic was taken outdoors. And now this...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And HADECO's version of a "super-mini". I should have planted this one in a tea cup just like the Japanese super-minis. The tiny bulb would have really fit in it. I received these bulbs with scapes already out and they did not bloom right with flowers drying out before even coming out of the spathe. The little bulbs must have been so stressed out from the long trip from South Africa. They did put out 2 scapes per bulb though.

Little Devil...soooooo cute!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Ooooops, the pic got cut out...lol!

Anyway, here's it's unusually shaped tiny 2 1/2 inch blooms. A closer look at the flower shows this darker red stripes/veins on the petals. There is still one scape coming out from one of the bulbs. I hope this one will bloom right so I can take better pics of the flowers.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Maria: I love all the new Africans that are now available in the US. Your Jungle Bells is especially beautiful!!! I have a couple of African minitures just starting to send up scapes. What's the name of that "super mini" you have?

mariava, I was eyeing the Jungle bells, but sort of promised myself no more. Would be lovely to have a lemoney double

Ewing, VA

Bsharf....I LOVE all of them "SA little ones". That tiny red one is a South African sonatini hybridized by Hadeco also. It's name is Little Devil. They still have not put it up yet in their website. Charles (Barnhoorn) did confirm this with me on his email. So this season, they released "Little Devil" and "Little Angel". I'll post pics of Little Angel when it blooms. I still have the tiny bulbs in the fridge. One was just 8cm around and has a tip of a scape peaking out!!!

Vossner..."Just one more...???" ;-)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Little Angel, a small flowered African from Parks

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Christmas Star, another small flowered African from Parks

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Jungle Bells, a very pretty double from Parks. This is a neat one: in shade it looks more green, In sunlight it looks nearly white.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2008 3:16 PM

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Susan, a Standard Dutch cultivar from UTulip. My first mislabeled one: This was labelled Roma.

Thumbnail by bsharf

Quoting:
My first mislabeled one
sounds discouraging, no? I hope this is your one and only and I hope I have none, lol

I was hoping Jungle Bells was more lemon-yellowy. I think I will hold off on getting it for now.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Double 6, an African cultivar from Amaryllis Bulb Company. I was surprised. I was expecting, from its name, that it would be a double. Someone let me know if this is supposed to be a double. So far this season, I've only had 1 mislabeled bulb out of 8, but the season's early. This was taken without a flash in early morning. The bloom looks more orangish red when taken with a flash or in bright sunlight. See the next photo.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2008 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I grow my bulbs in an unheated sunroom, which I rarely enter. This year, I have been cutting the flowering scapes, and bringing them into the kitchen, so that I can enjoy the blooms. This is what I am enjoying now. All the blooms I have posted already. The miniture one on the lower right is xmas star.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 4:45 AM

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Amalfi, an African cultivar from Parks. This is my 2nd mislabeled bulb of the season, since it was labelled as Pizzazz. Oh Well, its blooming very nicely.

Thumbnail by bsharf

b, the pic w/ the scapes are just awesome. what is the small red with green eye on the lower right corner of your pic?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Paris, a large pink cultivar from American Meadows. Got 2 clumps of H. Supreme Garden from Brent and Becky's Bulb today. The clumps are huge and very nice looking!

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Neon Rose from American Meadows. The bloom diameter is 5" and it really is a "shocking pink"!

Thumbnail by bsharf
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

That Neon Rose is spectacular.Thanks for sharing.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Full House from American Meadows The bloom is about 5" in diameter.I can't find any information on this one. Anyone familar with it?

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Lemon Sorbet, an African miniature from Parks.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Paris and Neon Rose in a vase.

Thumbnail by bsharf

b, do you find any difference between Paris and Neon Rose? From the AM website I couldn't really distinguish them. how are they in person? In your pic above, the two biggest flowers facing the camera look like the same. The ones in the back look slightly different, paler pink

One good thing about the pinks this year is that the color is uniform. I like that a lot.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The neon rose is in the background, just peeking over the top to the 2 paris blooms in the forground.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Well I have my first mini bulb from SA: Cupido (but no growth yet). I bought it on ebay. My Paris and Grandeur are growing buds and La Paz and a third stalk of Evergreen are blooming. Here's Evergreen a few days ago.

Thumbnail by boojum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.