Todays Weather in Your Garden - 32

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Why oh why does it ALWAYS start to rain when I have to go pick up my son at school???????

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Last good sunshiny day :-( Rain for the next 5 is forecast.

Sunrise: 6:56

Sunny, 45ºF ; High, 69ºF ; Low, 49ºF
Wind: 3 mph, direction NE
Pressure: 30.10 in, steady
Humidity: 87%, Dew point: 41ºF
Visibility: 2.5 mi, UV-index: 0, Low

Sunset: 17:01

Measured: Nov/6/08, 07:01

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Overcast again. 56.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Overcast here too
Fair:48°
Barometer:30.16 in and steady
Humidity:93%
Visibility:4 mi
Dewpoint:46°
Wind:N 6 mph
Sunrise:6:24 am
Sunset:4:21 pm
High: 57°

4:21 sunset - ouch! Mine is not much better - 4:45.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I hate it, days are never long enough to begin with. This just makes them feel even shorter!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Currently 63 overcast with a breeze.

South Hamilton, MA

Rain showers, some heavy--mid 50s

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

55 and bright sunshine here. I just planted 60 tulip bulbs. DH just got home from golf, I was jealous I couldn't go. So we are going for a walk, and a picnic lunch. It'll be over on the weekend.

Wow - long lunch.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

rain rain rain and some wind
63 degrees calling for 68 tomorrow

On and off rain here. 1/2 inch so far. 60 degrees.

Heehee, I meant the nice weather, but we did just get back from both. Still sunny and 63.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Today's the last sun-shiny day for a few.......

Sunrise: 6:58

Partly cloudy, 52ºF ; High, 68ºF ; Low, 50ºF
Wind: 4 mph, direction ESE
Pressure: 29.93 in, steady
Humidity: 83%, Dew point: 45ºF
Visibility: 10.0 mi, UV-index: 0, Low

Sunset: 16:59

Measured: Nov/7/08, 06:54

Unseasonably warm. 58 degrees.

59 and overcast. Weird weather.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Light fog and damp, not too inspired to go out and work, but I must. Near 60. DH has been feeling poorly since getting his flu shot last week. Just a coquincidence, but I was hoping for some sun to perk him up and give him some energy to help in the garden. He rallied the other day to help, but felt really poorly. He has all the symptoms of the flu. Patti

Thomaston, CT

Sorry to hear that, Patti---flu is nothing to fool with! Lots of tea, lemon, honey, & spirits! It poured yesterday pm, but then it would suddenly stop---start again after awhile---weird--sort of tropical---today is cloudy & 60---dale tested positive for Lyme again! Third time in 5 yrs.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti, that's the weird thing about getting the flu shot, you may or may not get flu symptoms after getting it. Hubby felt wiped out for a few days after getting his.
Robin-Did they have Dale on meds?

Cloudy 62 high of 70 low of 52

South Hamilton, MA

not raining, but damp mist--will make it uncomfortable to do garden work. Near 60--when it gets drier it wil get colder. $%^&

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi all! Thought I'd best report in on the weather front down here so you won't think I've lost interest in the weather in the NE. Sounds like we're not that far apart. Right now it's around 79 degrees with 47 % humidity. We just came back from doing errands......lots of sunshine and the nights are cool for sleeping - just like I like it.

DH also has some mild flu symptoms after getting a shot. Hopefully, they won't last long. Flu clinics down here won't take insurance cards - only medicare cards. Interesting.

Hope you all have a sunshiny weekend!!

Louise

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Donniebrook
No sunshine this weekend. I can see wet pavement shining in the sparce daylight.
The high right now is the high for the day 57*
Rain forcast, Its going to spoil the neighborhood party, guess we will be inside.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

56 out now... and cloudy.... going up to 61 and rain later

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Looks like the rains are a-comin'

Sunrise: 6:59

Mostly cloudy, 50ºF (feels like 44º) ; High, 51ºF ; Low, 40ºF
Wind: 17 mph, direction SW
Pressure: 29.62 in, steady
Humidity: 74%, Dew point: 42ºF
Visibility: 10.0 mi, UV-index: 0, Low

Sunset: 16:58

Measured: Nov/8/08, 06:54

South Hamilton, MA

Fog--delaying driving so delaying paper delivery.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

52 overcast, threatening rain. but calm. No sun until Monday. I thought yesterday would be a garden bust, but it got into that weird sort of tropical thing here too yesterday after lunch, so I got the afternoon to work outside.

I got all my cannas dug and ready to bag up and store. Also dug my dahlias yesterday and managed to put to bed another big bed. Only a couple to go. Planted some DL's. And then I raked a whole bunch.

Robindog and Flowerjen, DH is better, but still wiped out. Of course having a colonoscopy test on Thurs didn't make him feel any better. He wandered out to the garden to think about helping me, but after unloading one wheelbarrow, he went back inside to rest.

Robindog, Very sorry about your DH's positive Lyme test. At least now they have good meds to get rid of it. I am a walking tick magnet. I can't remember how many times I have been treated, but I no longer have panic attacks when I get it. I just take the meds for 30 days and wait to feel better. Nasty little things, but I won't give up my garden in fear of them as I once did.

Donniiebrook, sunny would be nice. Enjoy it for us. Patti

57 and yucky. Hope the DH's feel better. I had my flu shot the other day and did not fel too well the following day, but I'm okay now. Those ticks are really a pain. I've read recently that there is a much better vaccine that's almost ready. Last year, when hiking, I counted 15 on me!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, you are a tick magnet too. The first vaccine worked great for my DH. He was in the study group. The drug companies couldn't market it for the money it needed to sustain it so I hear. Since he has had many positive results. Patti

I hate ticks! Fleas, spiders, snakes, slugs, leeches...............................................................

I thought there were other problems with that first vaccine.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

DH is still tick ing. Couldn't resist. Patti

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

rain rain rain
60 degrees

50, partly cloudy, getting the last of the bulbs planted, and containers emptied and put away. Today turned out milder than I thought.

damp

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Turn nice enough to get a good deal of work done in the garden. Came in at dark. Think we are going to get rain tonight. Hope so. I planted trees and shrubs today. No frost in sight.

Got my big box of sale bulbs from Van Engelen yesterday. I think we will be ready to plant all the bulbs next week while dear Donniebrook is bird watching in the warm Fl sunshine. Slightly jealous. Patti

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Patti - sounds like you are being very productive up there!! Will you be coming down to my neck of the woods this winter??? Hope so. You'll get the $10.00 tour if you do come! LOL

JoAnn - hope the blah weather didn't spoil your gathering!

Willie - whatcha cooking today???

Sorry to hear about the lyme disease, Marilyn!! Hope he feels better soon!!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Creamy Dutch Apple Pie

:-)

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Ok, Willie.......share, share......please. Sounds so goooooooood. LOL

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

You got it!

I believe you can use your favorite apple pie recipe and add the cream at the end, but here is the version I use.

Pastry for double crust 9-inch pie (next post for the crust I use with this recipe)

Preheat oven to 425ºF

6 cups thinly sliced, tart apples (about 7 medium apples)
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup whipping cream

Peel, core and thinly slice apples, set aside. Combine dry ingredients well, then add to apples and gently mix until evenly coated. Spread evenly onto 9-inch pastry-lined pie pan.

Roll out top crust. Cut vent holes. Brush edges with water. Turn over to seal pie and flute edges.

Bake at 425ºF for 45 minutes.

Remove and add cream through vent holes in top crust and return to hot oven. Continue baking until crust is browned and apples are tender, about 15 minutes.

Serve warm.

This is NOT my photo, sorry, but the one one the recipe card .... The pie I made today is almost gone already!

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB

So what does the cream do when cooked?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.