Iris Info

LaFollette, TN(Zone 6a)

Upon the death of a fellow gardner, I was the recipient of several older irises, most of which I have never heard of and cannot find in the plant files. Has anyone heard of these? Mag, Dundec. Ruffles, Gold Lightning, Giant Rose, and Craftman. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Baton Rouge, LA

Hmm, somehow posted twice. Moderator, please delete this entry. Thanks!

This message was edited Oct 28, 2008 11:03 AM

Baton Rouge, LA

Mag and Dundec are not listed in the AIS Checklist. Ruffles could be any number of cultivars that are older with the word "Ruffles" in their name. The one cultivar that is named just "Ruffles" is not old enough to be the one you have.

Gold Lightning was listed with this information:

GOLD LIGHTNING
(Mayberry, R. 1963) Sdlg. 58-7-1. TB, 38" (97 cm), M-L
Yellow flushed apricot self; bright tangerine beard. ((Utah Cream x Spring Sunshine) x (Party Dress x Pink Formal)) X Marilyn C. Tell 1966, HC 1963, HM 1966.

Giant Rose was listed with this information:

GIANT ROSE
(R. Schreiner, R. 1959) Sdlg. K-799. TB, 40" (102 cm), ML
S. medium rose-pink, F. rose. Pathfinder X Opal Beauty. Schreiner 1959

Craftsman (it has an S in the name) was listed with this information:

CRAFTSMAN
(M. Knopf, R. 1963) Sdlg. 62-12. TB, 38" (97 cm), M-L
S deep yellow; F white, yellow border; orange beard. Golden Garland X Mission Trails. Tell, Knopf 1964, HM 1965, JC 1966, AM 1967.

Hope that helps! Ev =)

Dundec - maybe Dundee? #DUNDEE
(Small, R. 1945) IB, ,
Name released 1970.

DUNDEE
(Schreiner's, R. 1970) Sdlg. C 1024-A. TB, 35" (89 cm), M
S. silvery white with medium blue plicata markings; F. pure white, heavily dotted medium blue; near white beard tipped blue. T 1059-A: sib to Merry Ripple X T1066-1: ((Caroline Jane x Flying Saucer) x Belle Meade). Schreiner's 1970

LaFollette, TN(Zone 6a)

Blissfulgarden and Echoes...you guys are wonderful. I am new at this and have several irises and seem to be totally clueless on how to find this stuff, other than the plant files. If either or both would like a rhizome of any of these in the spring, please let me know and I will gratefully send you one.

Thanks,

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.