Paperwhites (Narcissus tazetta)

Columbia, SC

Elizabeth Lawrence wrote that she planted paperwhites outdoors, but I was wondering whether anyone had experience overwintering the bulbs outdoors in the ground.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Fleurs: I have overwintered other similar narcissus in the ground here and they came back very nicely. But since paperwhites don't require cooling to bloom, perhaps they are also more sensitive to cold. Now I'm curious! Hopefully an expert answer will come along soon. :)
Deb

Conway, SC

Fleurs,
Check this out especially the regions that they grow in. I think they will be ok in Columbia.
Good luck,
B

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62400/

Raleigh, NC

I accidentally overwintered some last year in a pot, and they are up and getting ready to bloom now. Received them blooming as a Christmas gift in early December, put the pot out by January, I'm sure, then forgot the pot. Moved them indoors before first frost a few weeks ago, once I discovered them. Not sure if being in the pot, and no water (pot was under a table) helped them make it. Interesting question!

Columbia, SC

Thanks for your responses. It's so great to be able to talk to gardeners in my growing zone!

My curiosity led me to check some of my other books and some online southern nurseries. Paperwhites are hardy in zones 8 to 10, but zone 7 gardeners probably have suitable microclimates. Hardiness isn't the problem: frost nipping opened blossoms, though, will turn them brown.

There's a lovely picture of paperwhites planted outdoors in Southern Living's Landscape Book. I may order enough paperwhites for Christmas gifts and a few to try outdoors.

I worry that paperwhites will have too cloying a smell for indoors, but the cultivars 'Nazareth', 'Galilee', and 'Israel' are supposed to be milder than 'Ziva's'. Although not a paperwhite, I'm also lusting after some 'Golden Dawn' narcissus for forcing because of their smell, which has been described as like honey.

Sigh.

P.S. yotedog, I really like your idea of planting in containers and then tucking them out of sight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.