My Hornli Won't Bloom!

Smyrna, TN

I've had my Hornli hydrangea in a large pot for four years now, and every year it leafs out beautifully and seems to be a perfect specimen, but IT WON'T BLOOM! And never has! Fertilizer and water, along with a mostly sunny area is the type of care it receives. Any suggestions for care that would make it bloom will be most appreciated!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What zone are you in? And when do you prune it? I don't think this is one of the reblooming ones which means it blooms on old wood. So if you're pruning it too late in the year (or too early in the spring) then you're cutting off next year's blooms. And if you're in the part of TN that's in zone 6 and you're not protecting it over the winter, then your buds could be freezing off. In the zone 7 part of TN that wouldn't normally happen, although things in pots are often more susceptible to cold damage than if they were in the ground (but it's usually root hardiness that suffers in those cases, I would think frost damage to branches/buds would be the same whether it's in the ground or not it's a little less likely).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.