Help with Lavender plants dying!

Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone, wish my first post on here could be under better circumstances:

I'm having a drama with the lavender plants in my front garden (Lavender Avonview)

I recently added fertilizer for the first time ever (Rooster Booster) and now:

The leaves are turning yellow on some newly added plants

Ive had two older plants (about 5 years old) die completely and some slightly younger (4-ish years old) plants are drooping and parts dying off.

Is it possible I've made the soil too acidic?

I've always mulched the lavender with bark etc (I recently found out that this isnt ideal for Lavender) but never had a problem.

I dont know for sure if there is a link with this problem and the fertilizer, but it seems more than just a coincidence!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rob.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Lavender like a 'sweet' soil (non acidic)
I have read that if you want to give some fertilizer a little bit of manure will be tolerated.

Also I never have good luck with anything that causes the plants to remain wet. You may want to consider taking out the mulch. Even if they get crowded --they go south. Give them a haircut in the spring - about a third.

I hope you don't lose them - but if you do -- at least you know what not to do and all isn't entirely lost. That is how most of my best education has been gained ---via the 'opps' factor!

Merino, Australia

Rob. I have lots of lavenders and find they like to be ignored. I have them both in the gardens and on their own in the paddock. Some get water (in the garden ) and others don't I have had the odd one just up and die but mainly they just go along happily. I throw a multi fertiliser around in the spring , not heavily and not on individual plants. I also throw around a bit of osmocote . Lavenders are usually fairly long lived but like a lot of plants, can just die for no apparent reason. My soil is heavy clay and they like it.
I would say you are right in that your particular problem is the fertiliser. If you can lift them and maybe put in pots or take cuttings from the healthy parts. You will most likely lose them once they are on a downhill slide. If you buy new ones , don;t plant in the same place as the fertiliser will be in the soil for a time. Plant something there that likes fertiliser . I would not plant lavenders in those spots until next year.
I have a green one that just thrives on neglect. If you want to try it , D-mail me and I will send you some pieces.
Jean

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys.

Missingrosie, I think some of my newer plants may be a little overmulched (Ive mulched lavender for a while and had no real problems, but Ive read from so many different sources that mulching is a no-no) also the soil where the newer plants are might not be free draining enough.

77sunset

I know what you mean, Ive pretty much ignored these front lavenders for so long and the front row (right near the footpath facing the street) is thick and vibrant, now that I decided to care a little, I may end up losing a lot! =(

Although I haven't added a heap of fertilizer, I only added sprinkled some in select areas.

Is there any way I can correct/help correct my error? Will adding lime to the soil in powder or liquid form) help?

I've lightly pruned the plants that are in the worst shape (took off the flowers and a little bit of new growth) and tried adding some Seasol (in a vain attempt to help, though I think that might've made it worse)

Cheers, Rob.

I would cut them back a little scrape away the mulch ...put away the hose and sprinkle a little (like icing sugar on a donut garden lime around )...these plants grow in limey hills in the wild ...wild being a big hint. Good luck with them.

Here have a look at this ...
http://www.stratsplace.com/gardendiary/lavender.html
chrissy

Melbourne, Australia

Ok: so far so good, after cutting them back (removing flowers and some of the new growth) and adding Seasol, the plants seem to have stabilized.

I've gotten rid of a fair bit of mulch (mainly around the base of every lavender plant in the garden) the soil at the base of some of the affected plants was a little moist, so I'm thinking this could be part of the problem.

The next few days will be pretty hot down my way so I will give them a drink, but the removal of the mulch should ensure the area around the pants doesn't stay damp/humid.

Most of lavender is effectively a hedge, but I'm thinking of trimming each plant slightly to give them some breathing room, any thoughts?

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Chrissy, I will add a light sprinkling of garden lime to the garden on the weekend as well.

Rob.

You are welcome and good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.