ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 130 - The Big CHILL Begins !!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/913547/

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Good evening all....High of 59 * here on the hill today...53* now...I got the last of my plants including my 4 roses potted up, just in the nick of time...They are calling for a cold front here tonight, and maybe even the *s* word north of us...I have a big Rosemary bush in a pot that needed to be brought in as well...

I felt a bit better by noonish today, and went to town...Didn't have any choice...We were out of milk and bread and a few other necessities, so I had to go...I got some more potting soil and finished up what needed potting to move and/or hold over winter...
I came home from the grocery, put everything away and started a big pot of Chili...Got the sheets off the beds and in the wash and hit the porch to finish up out there...I got the last of the porch items washed down and brought in and stored in the library..Since Paul is not coming here, that room is empty, or was, and I am using it to store things that are ready to be moved...As I box up, they go in there, along with extra furnishings from upstairs that we are keeping...

Thanks for the thoughts Robin..you are right...I am worn out, and not ashamed to admit it now...I look around me and cringe...More time to do this will certainly help...

Glad to be of assistance Sue...Sorry I couldn't find the big one.. I never use it anymore so you would be welcome to it...

Robi.. I hope you and Nora had a good drive.. time out to recoup is always good...Ask Sue Taynors... LOL I fortunately get that most every day thanks to my job...

Bons...I sure do hope you are feeling better....This corn cutting with all of the mold on it here is killing me...They still have the huge fields (over 200 acres) across the road to do yet, and I just know I am gonna wish I was dead when they do... ;-((

Jim has a 9am at the Base with his Neuro Surgeon in the morning, and then I am on for work after Noon...IF they need me...no call yet, so maybe I am off...I can use it...I need the extra day to catch up the nothing I did on Saturday...and I do mean nothing... I stayed in my jammies all day...I did do some online house hunting over in MI to find a rental in the event there is a major delay...I told the Kid not to evict those young folks that have small children without them having a safe place to go just to accomodate me...Life over there is tough enough without that...

I missed Cookies Weenie roast last night, but I honestly wasn't up to it...I couldn't have eaten a bite, and I dreaded the drive down as much as I wanted to see her and Bro Bill...It has been a long time since I have felt this bad...back since Thursday night...Bad Headache, and serious abdominal pain...with results from both...Hasn't been a pleasant few days...Nuff said...I am eating Chicken noodle soup tonight with lots of oyster crackers...Hopefully it will stay down...

Have a good night, and a wonderful day tomorrow....

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 7:01 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Aaack! I forgot about my rosemary!

LOL ... Sorry Darius!!! Hope you are in time!! Mine survived in the High Desert in CA down to the low 30's but not sustained...

Melissa....Give Big E a hug and tell him congrats...They will do terrific in the finals!!! They have already achieved a Major Goal!!

I am still holding your Brother close in my Prayers in the Smoke...as I hold you and Randy and the rest of the Family...I miss you lots!!!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Dusty, glad that you are feeling better,or at least to the point that you can think of food. Yesterday, I had a bowl of chicken broth, plus some juices, and today hasn't been much more. I cooked some noodles in chicken broth, and got a few of those down.

I am better, but this has taken the starch out of my britches. Went to take Mr. B for a ride, only a mile, and I was major whipped.

Melissa, you have every right to be bragging on your boys. Even if they don't win a game in the playoffs, they have already made you proud.

George and Sue, your wine talk last night almost did me in. Just the thought of another headache!

msrobin, glad that you had a good trip, and got to visit with all the folks you mentioned. Sorry that you will not get the opportunity to visit Lana. Hope your DH finds another job soon, er, after he is done playing in the woods!!

Back to the couch, I don't think we have heard from Marcy for a few days, hope everything is okay with her.

If i dig up my rosemary can i put it in the basement by the window ? and will it hold over to spring ? i got a big pot i can put them in . I got oregano too. Basement gets lots of sun from this window.
Yeah i heard snow too ? wow. I guess i can say goodbye to my raised beds this year . Just aint gonna happen unless i do it tomorrow. Prograstination is my weakness and it got me uhg.
Dusty glad your feeling better.
Went to visit inlaws and see how MIL was holding up with the death of her sis. I think she is ok. She talked about everyone who was there and all the gossip in the family. LOL .
Bonnie i hope your feeling better too
gee where is everyon e?
i got more pumpkins for pie's
that is all
sue

morehead, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue, could I twist your arm for a pumpkin pie recipe made with real pumpkins? Since doing this canning and freezing stuff the taste difference is like night and day from store bought. I want to make a "real" pumpkin pie!
Geo

Sorry Bons....I too tried the chicken broth thing...won't go there...
Suffice it to say it lasted less than an hour...No call tonight, so I am off the whole day tomorrow...I will use it to get firmly reaquainted with my clean sheets and pillow after we get back from the Base...
You all know, I am not one to go crawl in my hole, but whatever this bug is, has a cattle prod on my hinnie...I have yelled *Uncle* every hour on the hour since Thursday night, and haven't had but a few hours relief...
I told Jim and Sue, if I didn't know better I would swear I was having a Gall bladder attack...Serious pain....but that thing got yanked in 1995...
I feel like such a wussie.....

Sue...grab that Rosemary tonight, and bring it in the basement...You can pot it tomorrow...Tell Hunky Big T I said hold the flashlight...All of the back deck pots need to be down there too....

and with that, I am off to my tub and my rack...I am fried...

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry to hear you are feeling badly, Dusty and Bonnie. I hope today brings you both some relief.

The annual Weinie Roast was good. Weather was just about perfect for it. Cold enough for the fire to feel good, but not so cold you couldn't enjoy it. Lots of good food, my favorite part. There were about 30 there. A smaller group than most years, but everyone did seem to have a good time.

I've been trying to keep up with reading everyone's posts. I won't try to mention everyone by name cause I'm sure that I'll miss someone.

Love you guys!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I hope both of you feel better soon.

Someone say snow? I looked out the window about 8:30am and there were snowflakes dancing around in the air. They looked really nifty with the fall colors behind them, for the sun was peeking out from behind the clouds and illuminating a section of trees. It was really pretty.

We had about 3 dozen snowflakes this morning too. They were floating about sooooo slowly that I didn't realize at first what they were! Snow showers forecast for tonight...

I've been in and out of the cold all day, cutting and installing more shelving. I'm putting all pantry stuff that is not liquid (and can stand to freeze) on shelving on the back porch I enclosed in spring. I had hoped to get the door installed today too but that didn't happen. I also need to install some wiring (a receptacle and a light switch) but I am loathe to get under the house! The inside pantry needs additional shelving to accommodate all the new stuff I put up this year, but it will have to wait for my next social security check to purchase materials.

I have a nice fire going in the wood stove so it's nice and toasty compared to the damp cold outside. Feels good!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No flakes but a nice drizzle for an hour or so.... I WAS looking for flakes.
We finally fired up the furnace today.
I stayed home to get the new HD Directv Sat done right and it was brisk out there.
(Robyn finished the room wrap)
Of course our 8-12 appointment ended up being 2 PM....
But it was well done and we no longer have a ground dish.
He found a signal from the roof.
This REALLY helps as we no longer need short hedges........ LOL!

Ric

When winter comes it does it all at once, I think we had every kind of precipation that is know in a short period this afternoon, rain, sleet, snow, even had some sunshine, so just about everything that could happen meteorogically it did it today. Only in the ORV!! In a couple of days we will be back in short sleeves again.

Feeling much better today, was able to stay upright abour 4 hours before I had to lay down, so that is progress. I sound like I escaped a TB hospital, with the coughing and hacking. But at least everything is breaking up, and getting out.

This morning, I sort of tested a new software program which allows you to scan documents and to type them and print them. This will be very helpful to me, as I do lots of statistical reports for some of the organizations I volunteer for. Plus this will aid in my church work, and really some with things that I need to do personally. One of the organizations bought it for me, so my investment is learning to use it. I consider it to be a great deal.

Didn't get the geraniums in, so they will be toast in the morning. Ah, that is sad, but since they were grown from seed, not too much lost.

Dusty, you feeling better? Sure hope so.

Joyce, that weiner roast sounded good. I used to love to do that with a bon fire, and in cool, but not cold weather, sort of a rite of autumn.

Marcy, still waiting to hear from you!! Is the colder weather affecting the surgical sites? We are gonna have to buy you kneee warmers for the winter.

Jazz, tell Joel rabbit season opens here on Saturday. He may want to make a trip down some weekend to see the older Jackabees in action. Hey you are welcome to ride along, maybe we can fire up the grill, or maybe have a fish fry for you all. Hey, bring your furbies, and we will let the "kids" have a family reunion!

Bonnie, do you mean an OCR (optical character recognition) program? I have one, never think to use it.

We are supposed to get about an inch of snow today... but VERY WINDY along with the cold temps. Wednesday and Thursday nights are forecast down into the low 20's... Brrrrrrr, time to find my silkies and the hood for my jacket.

Darius this software is called Form Pilot, and seems to be just the ticket for filling out those tedious forms.

The weather liars did again, supposed to be a heavy frost, with the first real freeze, I was up early, and no signs of either, so will not delay getting those geraniums in today

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, no matter how much I mound and mulch my rosemary will not survive winter in the ground?

Not likely... Rosemary doesn't like colder than maybe zone 6b. Mine in 6b thrived, getting to five feet tall, but here just a zone colder, I have lost all 3 (outside) in the last 2 winters. I've never had much success with them indoors in pots, either. Not enough light or humidity... or maybe both.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I've tried twice to overwinter Rosemary, but by about January it is really struggling, so I gave up. I just plant it every year. I might cut mine back and mulch it heavily this year to see if it could make it. That is if it isn't already toast.

Glad you're feeling better Bonnie. We love the weinie roast. Bill and the boys always have bonding time after everyone leaves, sitting around waiting for the fire to burn down.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Drat!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've had rosemary survive up to 3 winters before finally getting a winter that was severe enough to kill it. I've had one going in a pot for several years now. I keep it in a window that gets morning sun in a cool room during winter, and on the dry side. It usually looks kinda cruddy by spring, but perks right up once its outside. I did find that cuttings root easily from it, so I'll probably try some more outside next spring.

I have spent the morning filling out church forms for the comming annual meeting this Sunday. What a PITA that is. However, I know that I am better, because I have been up almost 6 hours without requiring a rest!!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Oh, poo, Robin, was hoping to get to meet you too! Hi everyone. Have been trying to keep up with reading the posts but, between painting and tearing carpets out of the house bunny show season has started again so busy with that, too. In November I'm hoping to be in Springfield, OH, Lancaster, OH, and Zanesville, OH for shows. Anyone close to those?

Hope everyone is feeling better. Lots of sickness going around already :( My DB and SIL have both been ill.

Lana

Was in Amish country recently for a bunny show and found this dog kennel. Isn't it the cutest! Wish I had the money to get one for my girls(little house dogs)!

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Here's one of my new litters of bunnies. They're a bit over 2 weeks old now. Have another litter in the box and two more due this week.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

They are so sweet! I would get nothing done, I'd want to be holding and petting bunnies all day!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Come on over, Joyce. I have plenty of bunnies to keep you busy ;) www.daisypatchrabbits.homestead.com

Jucie, a Holland buck

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy
Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Where will you be in Springfield, and when?

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi, Everyone!

Having decent enough day time weather, in spite of the cold nights. Thankfully, nice days are hanging on for awhile, but I much prefer spring! Just can't get too enthused with finishing clearing out the garden and flower beds.

Bonnie, glad to hear you are feeling a little better1

Lana, I'm really sorry, too. We'd have been staying close enough for me to visit often...if you could have put up with me, that is. Bunnies are gorgeous!

Just been piddling around putting outdoor and pool stuff away and cleaning up and rearranging in the house. As DH just said this morning, it's disheartening to have to leave, but at least it's not a rush getting everything done and it'll be easy to set everything up again if we get to spend any time here next summer. Just a few more years till retirement!

Hope everyone is feeling better and recovering!

Geo here you go for the pumpkin recipes
i started a thread on it and this is what i got so far for the yummies.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911908/
Hmmm kids want to do 4-H and i was thinking bunnies ! hmmm who do i know who has bunnies ? LOLLLLL
might be looking you up Wvdaisy. Good to see you posting , them are som cute bunnies oh so cute. :)
not much here . nice morning and then wow got realy cold out !!!! and windy
Darius hope you get things going with your projects. Sounds like you got a few.
Hey we might be doing a KY trip , Dh is buying a skidsteer ? and its in Louisville ? or bowling green ? cant remember LOL anyhow would love to come by and meet up. LOL Dh don't know this yet buwahahahaha
Ds still has diarrea ? go figure , it can't be my cooking , could it ? Buwahahahaha ..... Hmmmm ?
stay warm everyone and cuddle up with a loved one or a loved furry friend :)
sue

Sue, I am 50 miles east of Louisville, if you are up for that. Would love to have you.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I love the dog kennel, how cool would that be if you modified it a tad for a chicken coop.
too cute

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Joyce, Springfield is Nov 9th I think. Not sure but most shows are held at fairgrounds.

Sue, I usually have plenty of bunnies. You'll need to find out from the 4-H leaders if they're allowed to buy their rabbit or must have the breeding pair and raise it themselves.

dovey, they had coops too but just the building not fence and all like the kennels :(

Lana

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Mmmm, bunnies are so soft. I'm always afraid I'm going to get chomped by one. Those teeth are so long! I must have been bitten by one when I was little or something. Dogs and cats are much sharper-toothed that buns, but I pick them right up. LOL

Lana are you talking Springfeild OH ? im close to their. :) Good to know on the buying or breeding thing. I m still new to 4-H
Bonnie i will check it out iwth DH and see. He might want to go to the corvette plant too LOL
Not much here this am , bad dreams all not long ugh didn't sleep at all. Lots of coffee today
Going to buy a Elliptical trainer and i got Dh to let me put it in our bed room so i can watch tv LOL we have one tv an its in our bedroom . We usually don't like tv in the bedroom but . The loft wasn't ready or the basement isn't finished soooooo. Well i get lonely when dh is gone lol
cold one here folks . But the weather should turn warm on friday ! wow
lots to do today and i m not dressed "ack"
have a great day everyone
sue

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Lana
Which Amish country? Point me in the right direction... that's the problem with the Amish, no websites *sheepish grin*

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, dovey!

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

When my sister visited we took her to Amish country, in Ohio somewhere. We had fun, but I did not see any chicken coops as cute as that one.

You should have heard me, don't take a picture, that's rude, he's gonna see you, don't take a picture, oh my gosh he's gonna see you, that's rude.
Now in the back seat is my mother and my sister saying, oh get a picture, it's that sweet, oh look at the buggy, did you get a picture, oh he's getting closer get another picture.

I really didn't want to treat him like some kind of side show. Wouldn't you just hate that?

Thumbnail by dovey
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Amish or Mennonite country is about anywhere in southern and lots of NE Ohio.
Plain City near Columbus, Union City near Dayton, Adams County, Brown County, Dover Ohio....

A tip ..... look for chickens wearing bonnets..... These are Amish Chickens...
The turkeys have beards......

Ric

Ric, hehe, that was corny, but laughable.

We have Amish friends in Lagootee, Indiana, and we visit back and forth. DH met them through dealing with the horses. We were invited to spend the night several years ago, and that was quite the experience. We arrived after dark, no electricity, oil lamps, okay, I can do this. No entertainment, I can do this, was shown to bed about 9:00, I don't know whether I can do this, but with the aid of meds, I did. In the summer, no AC, open windows, okay, I can do this. Got in bed, I was sleeping on the side of the bed just beside the open window. Awfullest stink I have ever smelled coming through the window. Didn't have a clue what I was smelling. Meds kicked in and I slept. In the morning, after a very non traditional breakfast, cheese and crackers, I went outside to smoke and investigate what the smell was. 2 Turkey houses, and 1 Pig pen, combined. Never have smelled that since. I don't do overnights there anymore. They are very easy to entertain when they visit with us, turn on the TV!! They are fascinated by it!! Matter of fact when they arrive, usually don't get a good hello, until they are in the family room.

Today was my first day out since I got sick. I am feeling better but did the grocery/errand thing, and I was plumb tuckered out when I got home. Had a little rest, cooked dinner, and declined to go to Bible Study tonight. So bet I will sleep well tonight.

Sue, just let me know if you are coming, I don't think we have much planned that couldn't be changed, and would love to show you around the "home place".

Dusty, we need to hear from you, are you on the mend?

I know a Turkey with a beard...Two of them in fact.. I'm married to one of them and the other just posted...But he's mah Bro an I luv him....;-P

I'm okay Bons...Like you, I'm trying to mend...Been another rough week..
First time ever, I hated to go to work...I absolutely dreaded it...I am ready for retirement...and guess what Sheila the Dispatcher gave me tonight...
I got an official company jacket with the logo on the back, and she said she had shirts for me too but forgot them at home...I have been there since last Feb. and they just now get me shirts and a winter jacket...They can keep the summer knit golf shirts...I'll wear the jacket til I leave, and I may buy it cause I like it, or I may turn it in with my keys and cell phone...

Saturday AM, I leave the VA with Paul loaded up and headed for Murfreesboro, TN...Depending on how whipped I am, I may head straight back or spend the night at his Moms...I would like to get back home so I can sleep in on Sunday and rest up for next week...

I don't have to worry about getting home from work in time Tuesday for voting...I was off Monday to take Jim to the base, so we voted early...
I knew as sure as I counted on getting here, something would happen...

I spoke to my Son last night, and the kids in the house over there are having a hard time finding a place to go, so I told him to not push it...They have very small babies, and the reason they sold was they were about to bankrupt because the boy lost his job some months ago...He inherited the farm from his Granddad, and hasn't been able to work it...
I have been online hunting down places to lease so we shall see...I'd sure hate to move in the dead of winter, but oh well... maybe by Christmas I hope...
Oh Yeah...Interesting news today...The son we moved up here to be near that didn't bother to check on his Father during surgery 3 weeks ago has bought a home and property in Lynchburg...Interesting...

I'm off to my rack...I need to be at the yard by 6:45 so that means leave here by 5:45 and up by 4:30 or so...

Hey Jules.. if you are lurking.. I have Sprouts!!! Wassup wid dat?? LOL

Have a great day tomorrow all...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.