I am so happy to say...

Linden, TN

That both of my worm bins are quite productive. The red wigglers are multiplying rapidly and I have had to increase their space from 1 third to one half of the 2'x4' bin. I am about to do the same with my Euros too. I have found that one of their most favorite foods is cantelope rind that is starting to decompose. WOW, they migrate right to it and within a couple of days, their is a massive worm ball population all over that rind!!! LOL lil piggies, haha.

I expect that by summertime, I should have a nice little collection of castings for my new veggie beds.....

Love dem woims.. !!

Carolyn

I can sure relate to your pleasure in a successfully thriving worm bin. I killed most of mine by accident several months ago-I put in some manure and plant matter and it got 'hot'. The population has slowly returned to the pre-tragedy numbers. This is the hardest part of the year to get through, these short days and cold weather. Just looking in at those little guys helps me look forward with hope to a rich spring planting, with all those worm castings practically guarentying (sp?) a successful garden.
I have never tested the limits of the space my worms are in-how do you know when you have reached that line-when the worms can't continue to multiply because of lack of space?
Julia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.