Seed-starting help?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm posting this here because I see that a couple of you have some really lovely romainlings - which is what I'm trying to start - so maybe you can give me some advice.

Basically, I'm practicing some seed starting so that I get it right in the spring. My main goal was to prevent dampening off, which I've been reading about. The mix I used here worked, so that was a success.

But the seedlings are leggy, even though I have the lights right down on them. How did that happen?

I do have multiple light sources in this room; it's my main living area. Maybe that's part of the problem? They don't seem to be reaching for one light in particular. They're just all over the place. Should I move the setup to my bedroom, where there tends to be less light?

I'm noticing also that this light tube isn't as bright as the newer one about four inches behind it. Maybe that's the problem? Should I replace the bulb when the quality of light seems to change - instead of waiting for it to burn out entirely?

Here are the details on the grow light I'm using:

Specifications:
Wattage: 17 watts
Incandescent Equiv.: 75 watts
Dimensions: 2.5" x 24"
Light Output: 1,093 lumens
Color Temperature: Grow Light
Warranty: 1 year
Replacement Bulb: F17T8/GL

Thumbnail by dividedsky
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, it could be many things, but I'll tell you what I do. I have a Parks Bio Dome seed starting kit. Has 40 or 60 cells and a real nice lid. I've used up their plugs that came with it and now stuffing the cells with coconut coir growing mix. I've learned lettuce needs some light to germinate so I just lay the seeds on top of the mix, and water gentley. I keep them covered with the vents closed 2" under a 4foot shoplight with just regular bulbs. I carefully put only one seed in each cell so not to crowd (which might be your problem). That's really it. I have wonderful results as you can see. I planted some of these outside today beacuse we are getting a cold fron (60's and 70's) for the next week. As you know, they like it cool. Inside house temp stays at 73 most of the time. Hope this helps.

BocaBob

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I know - I'm jealous of your lovely romainlings! :o)

You're right. It could be many things. I guess I should get out the seed trays and do another, less haphazard, trial.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.