CLOSED: Looking for Farro/Emmer Wheat

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm looking for seeds for Farro/Emmer wheat (Triticum turgidum dicoccon) - I have yet to find a US source for these seeds. If anyone here has any available (or knows of a source) please do let me know.

Thanks,
Amanda

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Do they have to come from the US?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

No, the seeds certainly don't have to come from the US - I just haven't been able to find anyone here in the US that sells the variety. Do you know of a non-US source that would ship to the US?

Thanks,
Amanda

Well, because it is a species what used to be grown in Europe and the Middle East, I might be able to obtain seeds.
Because I know it is on the European native plantlist, I can ask some of my contacts. How many seeds would you like to receive and how much are you willingly to pay for it.

Jonna

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That would be quite appreciated, Jonna. I'm not in need of a large quantity (and I don't have an import license for large seed lots), just enough to have a sound genetic base on the seed stock.

I'm working with a very limited budget and while I do know for a fact that the farro grows well in the eastern part of my state, it would be an experiment growing it in this area so at this point in time I would only be looking to at the most pay $10-15.

If you think you might be able to find a supplier for a small amount of farro at or below that price, that would be incredibly fantastic. If they prefer to deal in large amounts, that's much understood, but thank you either way for the offer.

~Amanda

It may take some time, but I'll do what I can. Don't worry about the price since you only need a small amount, it will certainly not be more then $ 10 , including shipping.

Jonna

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That's fabulous, thank you. And certainly no worries about it taking time - I've been looking here for well over a year now. It's just one of those things that I've really been wanting to try and am more than willing to wait for.

Thanks again,
Amanda

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Jonna,

I just wanted to let you know that I just found a US source for the Emmer wheat and have seeds for it on the way, but thank you so much for looking.

~Amanda

Hi Amanda,
I'm happy you found the seeds. I just received a email yesterday that my suppliers couldn't send me the seeds this season.
They are from eastern Europe and they are very slow in answering. But I will keep in contact with them, because they often offer special seeds.
So now I don't have to think about how to tell you I was not succesful :)

Jonna

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

It looks as though it was perfect timing all around ;) But certainly there would have been no need to apologize for not having found any for this year. I most definitely appreciate you looking for them and hopefully you find lots of other wonderfully unique seeds from the supplier.

Thanks again,
Amanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.