Insect/pest control

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

I am trying to find a product to spray on a schedule to keep insects off my veggies. I would like to find something that is concentrated so I can use it in my tank sprayer. I'm not as concerned with organic, but I want to be able to use it shortly after spraying so I can stay on the schedule.

Also, I'm heartbroken because by accident I sprayed today with a Bayer product that was not for edible plants. I don't know now if I've just ruined my entire garden or just the peppers that are just about ready to eat or if I can salvage by washing with soap. I rinsed the peppers off about an hour after I did it, when I realized that I had done. Anyone know? It's was the Bayer 3in1.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Some insects are good and some are bad, in terms of gardening. Regularly spraying to kill all the insects in your garden is not a good idea. A better approach is to identify an insect as you come across it and observe whether it's doing harm to your garden. Some insects prey on other insects that can damage your plants, so you want to make sure you keep those insects around. Killing every small creature that lives in your garden is just setting you up for trouble.

It takes some reading and investigating in the beginning, but that knowledge stays with you. There's lots of information on this site and there are lots of folks here who can help you understand the insects in your garden. I've learned so much in only a few months!

I've always been a bit squeamish about bugs, but over the past few months, after photographing them and giving them a close look on my computer and learning about the amazing things they do, I feel less creeped out by them and more amazed by all of this activity going on around us that we rarely see.

Thumbnail by dividedsky

Please don't kill the bees.

Thumbnail by dividedsky

. . . or spiders . . .

Thumbnail by dividedsky

. . . even the tiny ones watching you cautiously . . .

Thumbnail by dividedsky

. . . or the toads.

Thumbnail by dividedsky
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

look up http://www.stylet-oil.com and read all about it. I use it with great results. Started a every three day spraying right after germination. Even my whiteflies are under control.

BocaBob

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

2busygardening, does the Bayer have an 1-800 number to contact them about consuming veggies that have been sprayed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.