What's up with these larva from Ash Tree

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Every fall we have a ton of these larva fall from the tree after cold evenings. The tree is a white ash and does not have sign of ash borer, though both trees suffer from ash yellows.

Any idea what these are? Can they simply be flies?

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

an here's the multitude

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Mrs. Ed,

I just stumbled across your thread and did some research. It is apparently the ash tree weevil. Several others inquired about it. The good news is that it affacts the seeds only and will not harm your tree, so you probably do not need to take any precautions.

The google search I used was white ash larva, if you would like to duplicate it.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15776

Isn't the web great?

Donna

Thanks Donna! I actually posted this on the bug forum and they said the same thing. So I went out and collected some seeds and sliced them open. Sure enough I found a weevil!

This tree already has ash yellows, so I'm glad it is not further sickened by some harmful bug (I've been watching for borers).

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Great! I'm so pleased your problem was solved and you haven't waited for an answer all this time. I know how much I treasure my trees.

Donna

Yes it will be sad when we lose them. My neighbors gave these as young trees to the first owners of this house. So they have been here a long time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.