New York and Apples

Just thought you all might be interested to read one of today's DG articles.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1675/

I wrote it about my memories of NY and our huge apple trees.

Please ignore this post if you aren't interested.

:-)

April

This message was edited Oct 24, 2008 8:46 PM

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I have read the article and put in my 2 cents. I think this is a wonderful article, and very timely. I'm sure there are many who will be interested! - Lynn

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I enjoyed that.... thanks for posting it

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Oh yes!
I read it through and through, and loved it.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the readers.

:-)

April

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I read and am now making carmel apples...got my mouth watering!

^_^

Sounds wonderful pixie62560

April

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Great article. I hate it when people come in and ruin the landscape by ripping out all the plants and trees, why buy a house with property?
Close to where we used to live a developer bought a farm market and apple orchard property and built McMansions on it, tore down all the apple trees and had the nerve to name the development "Apple Grove" (or some such totally inappropiate name!!!)

Well said, flowerjen.

We have many subdivisions around here with the only thing left of nature is the Name of the subdivision. What was ain't and it ain't gonna come back just because the subdivision is named for it. One example: Pecan Grove Subdivision isn't much of a pecan grove anymore. I guess "they" wouldn't sell many houses if it was called Destroyed Pecan Grove Subdivision.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

April

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL - "Destroyed Pecan Grove Subdivision." ROFL!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

too funny!

^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My grandfather was a fruit farmer until the cost to produce was not worth what he could get for apples.
He did take down his trees (37 varieties) in order to go into dairy farming.
The farm was turned into a sub division after he died.
I miss the orchards, spring birds and sweet blossoms.
Bee keeping too. Everything now days is measured in profit. Some fruit growers cant become charities just to have a beautiful landscape. I think it was a hard decission on his part,I remember my sisyer and brother and I moaning when he was making plans to cut the trees down. We were out voted.

ge1836,

Wow...that must have been tough on your grandfather and of course, you all. It is too bad that dairy farming and apple trees couldn't have been done together.

My sympathy to all of you.

Thanks for commenting.

April

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It was a business decission. The farm wasn't big enough for a large dairy heard and the space for trees too.
It was a great childhood spending summers at my grandfathers.I learned a lot about comunnity and socialization there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.