Pee Gees about to be 86'ed

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've had a couple of PG's in a sunny bed for about 8-10 yrs. that haven't produced more than a handfull of pitiful blooms in that entire time.I don't know what var. they are...received cuttings in trade.I can replace them w/ Limelight aka Greenspires that seem to bloom much better in the pots I'm holding them in. I'm either going to dig them out and toss them on the burn pile or plant then down at the bottom of my property where they'll get all day sun,lots of spring rain but little summer rain. They have never been real pretty. I don't know if it's me or them...all the other plants around them,clethra,gardenias,azaleas,mophead hydrandeas,jap.maples ferns...etc have all done well.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

as you can see from the opposite end of the bed,everything else...especially the ostrich fern are doing just fine

Thumbnail by bigred
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Here are some things to think about when trying to guess the reason for the problem:

* they can't tolerate salt spray and high salt wind.
* shade will reduce flowering quite a bit
* hydrangeas thrive on moist, well draining, acidic soil so check that your soil is all these things at all times of the year
* PGs bloom during the early summer (around late June-July) so do not prune when they are about to bloom
* lack of water is usually a problem during the summer so make sure that the soil is moist during that time of the year. If they do not get enough water, they will abort the flower buds.
* do not plant too many shrubs nearby since you then get competition for nourishment and water.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

no salt spray
in sun
lot of big storms this year,unusually wet this year
didn;t prune at all this year
have clethra,azaleas,daylilies and irises in the same bed

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello bigred. Re: big storms, I have a question. I am not sure if your statement about big storms applies to the time during the summer. Was the soil moist during the summer blooming season? If you are not sure, how often do you water then (how many times a week and for how long)?

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 10:52 PM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

We had lots of rain at the tail end of July and a LOT during Aug. due to Gustauv and other storms this year.Normal summer I run Rainbird for 2-3 hrs in one spot before I move it .....every two weeks or when needed.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Flower buds are produced starting around June so the soil needs to be consistently moist or the plant may abort the buds. Watering every two weeks may not be enough. I have to water every week or more here (but I do not grow paniculatas). A way to tell if you need to water is to use the finger method: insert a finger to a depth of 4" (not counting the mulch) and see if it feels dry, moist or set. If it feels dry or almost dry then water and mark it in a wall calendar. After a week or two, review how often you water by looking at the calendar. If you are watering every 2/3/4/5/etc days, set the sprinkler to water 1g of water on that frequency. Then recheck using the finger method if the temperatures change by 10-15 degrees and stay there.

Have you checked the soil (done a soil test?) in that location? I would check to see how the soil pH is doing and whether there is a lot of nitrogen there. Plants that get too much nitrogen will produce lots of green leaves and little or no blooms.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I hope it is okay to jump in here- Great advice, luis_pr...

If you don't mind I'd like to suggest one more thing you might try, in addition to all the good suggestions you've already gotten.
In the very early spring, just as the new growth is starting, you could cut them back to about 18 to 24 in- just cuttting them to establish an attractive framework. PeeGees seem to respond really well to this, and put out a lot of new growth and flowers. A little (low nitrogen) fertilizer might help too. But , like luis_pr said, water is the most important factor.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

They could stand some pruning. Most of the pruning I've done is too remove deadwood and crossing branches. Next spring,I'll give it a hard pruning and one more chance.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Good luck!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I've had the same pr'veoblem with 3 Annabeles I got from Spring Hill about six years ago. In all that time they've only grown about 6" tall. No flowers. I had them in a nice sunny bed where almost everything else does fine. Full of compost and manure. Lower end of the bed so it stays moist. I finally got fed up and moved them to an area under some white pines that I wish would die. They grew better this year, but no flowers. Any advice?

Starkville, MS

I have a large number of hydrangeas-----macrophyllas, quercifolias, arborescens and paniculatas. Each February I cut my arborescens (anabelles) and paniculatas (PG's) to almost a foot tall. And, they have never failed to bloom. I will say that the old time Grandiflora PG is my best bloomer----starts by early July and continues into fall. Also, there are some other paniculatas that are not as impressive as the Grandiflora PG. My PG's will take lots more sun than you normally associate with the name hydrangea. But, out of about 70 hydrangeas, they are my favorite. I live in Zone 7b----Starkville, Miss.
Oh yes, they are rarely ever fertilized----since I am 76 years old I tend to forget about it.

Shirleyd

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I think come Feb. I'll give those PG's a cloes haircut and one more chance.

I have hydrangeas of all sorts all over my yard and these are the only that give me problems.

Peggy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.