Under a dogwood

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I need some ideas on blooming or colorful foliage under this dogwood. It's very shady even after I limbed it up. Presently growing under there,not doing well: blue rug juniper,azaleas(who'd of thunk azaleas wouldn't do well.)There's some indian pinks that are doing ok and hopefully pruning the trees limbs up,they will do better. Acanthus mollis is also doing ok as well as the var. petasites. Sumac and vica minor creeping under the fence from neighbors yard are doing the best . I'm tired of pulling the runners so they'll get painted w/ brush killer.It's a small area(10-12 ft.long by 3-4 ft. wide) and I'd like something about 3-4 ft. tall,bushy enough to create a green barrier between me and the not so nice neighbor. Four season of interest would be idea but will settle for some that's evergreen as living fence since the fence is rotting and coming down. If the neighbor wants a fence she'll have to come up out of her pocket for a new one since.

Peggy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Whoops...forgot the picture

Thumbnail by bigred
Danville, IN

I would think azaleas would do fine, but you probably have to add a layer of rich topsoil under the dogwood first. Established trees can take up to 4" of topsoil over their roots with no problem. First, dig holes in the current ground about 4" deep, plant the azalea(s), and then mound up to cover the root ball of each plant, extending the soil out 6"-8" all around. The in-between areas you can either fill with good topsoil, or fill with whatever mulch you use to create a level bed. I've done this many times under established trees with great success. Taller evergreen shrubs for shade would include taxus (yew) and hemlock, possibly arborvitae. Also boxwood 'Green Mountain" and holly. Again, if the soil is root-bound and/or depleted, try adding some enriched (compost mixed in) fresh topsoil first. Good luck.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh and I do like yews. I have azaleas under it....not that you can see them,they've grown so poorly. I could dig them out and ammended palnting hole w/ compost.

Peggy

Danville, IN

Taller growing yews include 'Capitata' and 'Hicks'. There are many varieties of spreading yews to choose from. Check out a good local nursery. Good luck.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I like the christmas tree shaped ones but they wouldn't be good for the purpose of a living fence. I could get one of the bushier types and keep it trimmed.

Danville, IN

'Hicks' is the more columnar variety, not 'Capitata'. Do yews grow in your area of Zone 8a? They are everywhere here in Indiana, but does it get too warm in your zone? If you see them around, I'm sure they will be the best for shade for you.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yes,they'll grow here. Use to have some but they got squashed by huge pine tree limbs falling back during 2000 ice storm.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd try some of the shorter purple lorapetalum or sasanqua camellias. Have you tested the soil under the tree? There are kits you can pick up in the nursery centers.

Polystichum setiferium divisilobum will grow under my redwood trees and it's evergreen and button fern will grow there too. They are both supposed to be hardy in zone 8. Nothing much grows under redwood trees!
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchall.pl

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have sas.camellia planted just outside the dogwood's drip line. I have purple lorapetalum in sunny part of my yard. Would it grow and keep it's color in that much shade?

I'll have to check out that button fern. I love the tatting ferns but don't know if they'll grow in my summer haet and humidity.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm sure that the camellia would. I have japonica camellias growing under my redwood trees too. It's a good plant for an edging. I'm not so sure about the lorapetalum. Guess I'd have to see how much shade. Hellebores are another plant that will grow in the dark and are evergreen although of course not of the height you are seeking. I'd go with the camellias. I have them growing under a walnut tree and they are still doing OK.

Louisville, KY

We have planted primroses under one of our dogwood trees. I do keep them well watered during the summer. I am wintersowing a bunch of them this year. I have ordered a bunch of seeds from TM this year. They have a good selection... but tend to be slow on delivery.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I haven't had much luck with primrose.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.