Anyone grow veggies in the green house during winter?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I got plastic to go on my new Green House that is being erected as we speak. DH has decided it needed fiberglass.. and has gotten 34 sheets 12 feet tall.. His money, but wants to grow veggies in the winter so I need to know what will grow and produce..

Lavina

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Lavina, yes we had fresh greens last winter, mostly Lettuce, Spinach, a few Sweet Peas. I had enought to give my rabbits a treet now and then.
I use electric heat to keep it above 40.
I installed foam insulation on the north side and 2 layers of bubble wrap on all other glass, my small GH came with the house and is built of metal frame, wood, and all glass windows, roof is corrugated fiberglass. It has a concrete floor with a cellar below, the new addition will be a dirt floor and recycled windows.
This winter I will grow more, adding tomatoes and who knows what.

Thumbnail by rentman
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I had a wild cherry tomato plant that almost took over my small GH last year. We got enough for a salad once a week or so. This year I am trying 2 early small fruited vars, Moscow Early and Hazelfield, curtesy of MayPopLaurel. Not sure how well they will do. Have them in 5 gal. grow bags. They will get kicked out if I need room for more tender plants and they don't produce.

Fulton, MO

Lots of the cool season veggies will do well. Basil, spinach, lettuce, cilantro, etc are easy. You can't grow regular cucs, you have to grow European cucs. Tomatoes are tough for us, though maybe in 7a you can do it. We used GH toms ('Trust' and others), and then lots of heat and some supplemental light. I had to start the tom seeds in August for any results.

Watch for whiteflies with all of the above.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

stressbaby for some reason the region gods are calling us 8a this year.
We have not had a night below 49 yet.
I hope to grow some tomatoes where can I get cold hardy seeds?

Lavina

zone 7, TX

This winter I'm growing Black Seeded Simpson, Mesclun mix, Cheddar cauliflower, Sugar Snap peas, beets, turnips, radishes, scallions, herbs, Swiss Chard, spinach. I know for a fact that I'll have lettuce till next year. Some even reseeded itself and I'm picking some from last years crop! I'm growing on tables 5-6" deep , but I'm sure if the beds were deeper or I used deep pots I could grow more! I'm still learning.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold hardy tomato seeds? If you don't get a better answer, you might try some of the Russian Heirloom varieties. They seem to be tolerating my cold here pretty well (7a S.W. VA). I have a new hoophouse and it is only a couple of degrees warmer than outside at night-meaning in the 30s several nights and no problem. The ones I have outside the hoophouse are still surviving too. Get a second opinion on this though, I'm no expert!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Green thumb where can I get the seeds?
These sound like what I want.

Lavina

Saint Louis, MO

I bought some seeds for Johnny's seed website (you can find the link on this website)that are for growing greenhouse tomatoes, cucumbers, and zuchini. I started my seeds in August and I already have flowers on my tomatoes and a little zuchini and a bunch of cucumber flowers. They are supposed to be good for the greenhouse. There are other threads that talk about tomatoes and polination and why you aren't supposed to grow regular tomato seeds in a greenhouse.

Radford, VA(Zone 7a)

I got mine from Tomato Growers Supply Company--they're on the web. I wouldn't 'put all my eggs in one basket' though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.