High tunnel?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Has anyone tried building a high tunnel? There are directions on the net that look fairly easy. I had a greenhouse from Costco that I took back because it was impossible to put together. The high tunnel looks easier, and would be less expensive for more space. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with tunnels? Thanks.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

Are you talking about a hoophouse?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I think that is what you might call it. It is make of pvc pipe that is anchored in the ground on each side, then covered with plastic.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

A couple things about a hoophouse. You will have to change the covering periodically. There are several types of coverings available also. The plastic tends to sweat, so I'd look for a condensate control film and something with UV stabilizer. It can get expensive if you have to replace the covering too often. A bad storm can do some damage, it will tear the covering. Condensation build up inside will damage your plants also. A 6 ml, 24' x 100' roll of four-year clear with UV and condensate control will cost around $200 wholesale. Hope this helps in your decision.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.