Problem with JM

Myrtle Beach, SC(Zone 8b)

What's wrong ? Is something snacking on it ?

Thumbnail by tcinmb
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Looks to me like it's going dormant and has some leaf burn from the summer. Are all the leaves like that?

Unfortunately yes.

Here's another pic

Thumbnail by tcinmb
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes is a good answer. IF all the leaves look like that then it's most likely leaf burn and dormancy. Is this the first year you've had this tree in your garden?

I planted it in May.

Kannapolis, NC

I have a JM that looks similar to tcinmb's, but mine has been in the ground for several years. However, not all the leaves look like that, only the ones on the outer edges, leading me to believe it's sunburn. Of course, last year we had the late freeze, then the drought and another drought this year, so it may be simply stressed. I'm waiting to see what it looks like when it leaves out again in the spring. It's growing well and I hate to lose it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I wouldn't worry about your tree tcinmb. I doubt that you are doing anything wrong. Just assume that it's going dormant and see what happens in the spring. Be sure to let us know how it does!

Thanks for your help.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Many red JM's will show this by fall nothing unususal also some older ones depending on sun dryness heat etc.to not have some leaf burn is the exception and mostly unheard of with young newly planted jms's... some varieties are better than others...but the first year is never good for any red jm in southern areas.exposed and planted out .even those varieties of red jM's specifically developed for the south are NEVER 100% perfect...David

Kannapolis, NC

David: Thanks for the tips. I've been please with my little one thus far!

Thanks David and Doss.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are welcome. I hope that it comes back beautifully next year! You'll have to post a photo of it in it's spring beauty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.