Tropicals Project - fighting with the trees

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I probably should have asked here when I started my Tropical Project earlier this year, but better later than never. Here's my original thread (which is almost laughable looking back). http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/830124/

I got my inspiration after watching folks like Brian Williams in Kentucky do what he does there. I'm a borderline 8a/8b so I figured I'd try much luck - and so far so good I think.

My main problem with my yard is the trees (which I have a love/hate relationship with). They seem to suck the moisture and nutrients from my soil and leave my tropicals in rough position (especially later in the summer as the trees seem to prepare for winter). I plan to do major improvements on my soil this winter, but I'm still wondering how I can beat the trees at their own game - or if I am going to have to give up and simply come into my yard more. I have a slew of new bananas to plant next year, and I'd like to make sure I get optimal growth - like those away from the trees. Am I stuck with competing with them, or can I do anything that might help?

Thanks,
John

Thumbnail by keonikale
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! Your beds look great!! The only thing I can think of is to maybe raise your beds up some. No more than a couple feet. That will give you plants a bit of breathing room from the roots I would think. If you want to raise them more make a space around the trees so that they don't get smothered down low there.

There are probably better soultions and I hope someone comes up with some. But it's food for thought for now. :~)

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I could probably do that with a small retaining wall, which would help me protect the tree trunks too (I think if you put dirt around them directly it can harm them?).

Sometimes it hurts trees if you build up around them and sometimes it doesn't. In your case it probably would be better if you leave some space between the trunks and the extra dirt. We put several feet of extra dirt around our trees but there was major erosion going on too so the dirt was needed. I still have at least one tree that needs to be built back up again. Your trees look to be on a flat area so you probably be better off leaving a bit of space between the trunk and wall.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Your garden looks great! Do you know how fast those banana trees will multiply? We started out with 29 and now have over 90. We gave 20 away last year! You may need to widen or lengthen those beds in a few years!

I have a pine tree that I did Lasagna layering around and then planted Daylilies.
I did put the dirt around the trunk about 8-10"......that was last year. I hope the tree will be OK. (It survived IKE!!)

This message was edited Oct 21, 2008 11:21 PM

It should be. I think most trees can handle it. I know there are some that can't but I don't remember what ones they are. If it starts looking sickly or different then you can move the soil away and see how it acts then.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks. Looking at the picture, it does indeed look flat - the photo is quite deceptive though, it's actually a pretty steep hill in the back. Granted erosion isn't a huge issue, but bc we have sand here (at least beneath the topsoil) it can get eroded in places if there is no mulch or grass. So I think if I build the wall out a bit from each trunk it'd be OK. Just not sure how my wife will feel about building more retaining walls, especially on a slope, LOL. I may just come out in the yard a bit... most things do extremely well around the house and anywhere the trees don't exist. I love the trees in the back, I just hate they suck out all the water.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Your garden is GORGEOUS John! I think that trees don't much care what is put around them if it is not soaking wet - could that be right? I think I read somewhere that under trees is one of the most difficult places to garden because it's dry shade - anyway, what you have is really lovely, so neat and tidy.

Aloha

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you, I appreciate that. I can't wait until things really grow in these next few years. Sometimes I think I'd enjoy a warmer climate more (and I probably would), but I'll admit the challenge in my zone is what makes it fun. Granted I have much more respect for all you folks who tropical garden in higher zones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.