Spring and Fall weeding

New Boston, NH

This summer I blasted my 15 year old son for being so numb and getting poison ivy so often.Well wouldn't you know Mr Perfect was doing some fall transplanting ,of plants that need more sun.So hastily I was preparing a rough area of the yard that has been a rough dog area /yard no longer needed .You guessed it the poison ivy I sprayed with round up didn't get a full dose and since most of the leaves were gone with frost etc I got a good dose of the itch.Last time I had it was over 30 years ago when I was doing spring weeding and the leaves had not come yet.My son aquainted me with his favorite medicine and it works quite well.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

How do you get your 15 year old son to weed? I have an almost 15-y.o. DD with plenty of energy for cheerleading and choir and youth group but none for stuff like weeding, planting bulbs, other fall chores.

AND I hope your poison ivy gets better soon - do you need steroids? Did you wash carefully after you realized you had been exposed? The oil can live on tools and gloves, etc., you need to wash EVERYTHING!

Pets can haul it in. Been there done that!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, she's allergic to every pet, we have none.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear that, Peter. Tecnu works very well, though it's more effective when applied within hours of exposure - meaning you had to know you may have touched it.

Brush-B-Gone is much better than Roundup for eradicating it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh Sherrie, NOW I realize what you were saying about the pets above.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I got it once ..... and apparently didn't launder the shirt I was wearing and promptly got it again one year later .... the first time I wore that shirt since "The Incident!"

The resin can stay around for a while, I learnt.

EDIT: I meant to say launder it thoroughly enough to remove the resin. Not to imply I do not do the laundry. Oops.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2008 9:06 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

peter - victor is correct brush-be-gone works well t oget rid of PI - however be careful spraying it down as pretty much all it touches will die.

New Boston, NH

Victor that Technu is awesome that is what I used ,as for my son weeding have no fear he gets it chasing a ball or grassing or what ever he does other than working.Never pulled a weed in his 15years.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Then I've got you beat! DD#2 weeded for a few hours for a few days this summer!!!

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Whenever I rush to clear the brush
And brambles that defy me.
As I dump the trash, I get a rash
From hidden poison ivy.
So here's a tip if you want to strip
From a plot of land, all growers;
To zap those weeds all you really need's
Some big surplus flamethrowers.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Don, you're the best!

Post a Reply to this Thread