Iris seed

Holden, LA(Zone 8b)

My tall purple iris made a seed pod this year. The first I have ever seen. How long does it take them to bloom from seed? I have grown day lilies from seed and it takes them three years. I do not know anything about iris seed, so would love to get any information.

South Hamilton, MA

3 years is a good estimate for iris bloom. see Hyperlink @leticia.smugmug.com for more information.

Lebanon, OR

Well here in iris heaven I can plant seeds in Oct and see bloom the following spring or at the longest one more year, never had to wait that long.

d

South Hamilton, MA

brag brag! Just because of where you live Dee. Here it is plant one year, germinate next or in some cases 2nd yr, bloom 2nd or 3rd yrs. As you know we don't cross TB to TB, but plants with aphylla heritage sometimes germinate over a couple of yrs. Since she had a TB pod I was giving out the longest time. Rick Tasco says that he can line out germinated seedlings in March & see bloom by Oct. Very annoying1

Holden, LA(Zone 8b)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I will plant them and learn.

Lebanon, OR

Sorry Lucy, for me being as spoiled as I am it is so hard to believe to have to wait so long. I do all crosses if I see an iris by a person that I think that the pattern or colors or a selected hybridizer I try to cross, do not use genetic backgrounds. Have 300 one pots in the cold frame of seeds that I planted last week, this week working in the garden again and decorating for the big costume Halloween party that is always here, because next to Christmas it is my favorite Holiday and I blame it all on the New England states. Why? because when I was back there they started fall/harvest decorating in Late August and it just got better and bigger by Halloween and I was hooked.

D

South Hamilton, MA

Not only early decorating early for Halloween--Christmas decorations (at least wreaths) stay up until Easter). Have not set up seed boxes as yet, fewer crosses & more seeds for a couple of BB ones this yr. Not making much progress as have cut back because of lack of lineout space for the results. working on 2 SDB lines, pink & red amoenas. Luckily did a blue cross this yr as it was the one which took.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.