Can I do the happy dance?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

IT'S CLEARING!! okay, Maybe that's not so exciting to everyone else but it sure is to me! Now it's not totally clear but I can actually see my fish..and they can see me. That part isn't so good. lol So, apparently it only took me almost 2 months to figure this out. Good thing it was nuclear science or we'd all be in trouble. lol I owe you guys a huge ""THANK YOU"" for at the very least listening to me. "T" :) :) :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Congrats Sledder!! I'm happy for you !! It's always exciting to have the pond -water clearing up, I know what that feels like!! It always takes time to learn new things ~ same with ponding, But, Sure gets better once you do !! Good luck in your future ponding adventures!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

That's good news, Sledder! I was thinking of you today as I cleaned out my pond pump filter and some debris on the bottom.....it looked pretty green before I got through. Hope mine starts clearing now, too :)

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Thank you. I love my pond even though it's small. Hopefully in the spring I'll be better at it and will have more plants & fishies. Thanks for the help everyone. "T"

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Congs! We are second year ponders, and you will learn a lot by the trial and error method. Next spring, after you open your pond get a small bale,6x6 inches of barley straw.(size of bale depends on gallons of water)
Place it under your waterfall or bubbler, so it is half exposed to the air and the water can run through it. leave it in he water for 4 days and pull it out for four days. We have 1600 gallon pond and this seems to keep the algae under control and it will sprout. our frogs love to sit on it.
We find that it lasts for about 4 months that way and the water is sparkling clear all of the time.
Plus when and if you do a water change, 1/4 at a time and no more.
We have a website, with a lot of help links, www.backyardponderingsociety.com.
great group of people who can give you all the help you need
Ann

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Annabelle. My pond is really small (230 gal)compared to everyone else. But compared to my old one (30 gal) it's huge. I'm definitely gonna try to barley in the spring. Now I know how to use it. It's still little cloudy/green/etc. but I know it's gonna get better eventually. The fish seem happy. I pitched the water hyathins. They clogged my filters too much. I had fairy moss...fish ate it. So nothing is covering the water. I'm also gathering string algae now too so it must be okay. Thanks bunches everyone..it's definitely a work in progress. Hopefully in the spring I can trade a couple things too. "T" :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.