Doing the html Thing

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
If a dog will not come to you after lookng you in the face,you should go home and examine your conscious,-Woodrow Wilson

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I never laugh untill i've had my coffee.-Clark Gable

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Just because you've only got Houseplants,does'nt mean you don't have the gardening spirit. I look upon myself as an indoor gardener

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Will is the root,Knowledgeis the stem and leaves, and Flowers are the feeling.-Sterling

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Bold underlined Italics for a latin maxim:
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Sylvain.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

So very true sylvain.
Seems to be passing faster these days.
link-Hubblesite
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/star_collection/pr1994002c/
Thanks
This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 4:55 PM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 4:57 PM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Hope someone can tell me if link works.
For some reason my MSN2 has a hard time bringing up links and pictures on Daves Garden and can't always tell if a link is working or just my MSN2

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
It is never too late,to be what you might have been.
Or is it?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thought I'd let you know that the link does not work. Sorry.

When I looked at it to see what might be the problem, I noted that your link comes up as "http://.org..."
There needs to be something in front of '.org', like maybe 'hubble.org' or something like that. Having '.org' without something in front of it is a little like sending a letter to a city without a name or street address. It is an incomplete address. Hope that helps.

If you edit it, I'd be happy to try again and let you know how it works.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for explaining the principal behind the links.
I needed that. Have to understand things or feel lost at sea.
Vickie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm exactly the same way, Vickie. Glad it helped. Your link is working great now. Nice pics from the Hubble telescope.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

scutler, Thanks!
One of my favorite websites.
How much trouble would it be to explain cut,copy and paste?
My MSN2 wont cooperate in the steps and i suspect it's my fault.
Vickie.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You are very welcome.
Hmm. What is a 'MSN2' ? That must be your computer, I guess.

Most of the time, especially on the web (including DG), I use the following steps to copy or cut:
- use the mouse to highlight the text you wish to either copy or cut
- right click the mouse. This will bring up a pop-up menu (usually near your cursor). The menu has a number of items on it including cut, copy, and paste.
if you don't have anything currently highlighted, then cut and copy will be greyed out. Assuming you did highlight text 1st, cut and copy should be 'active' (not grayed out)
- use the mouse to select either cut or copy from the menu (left click on one of them). Now the item that was highlighted has been either cut (removed from screen or document and copied to the clipboard) or copied to the [invisible] clipboard.

To paste (note that you can only do this if you have previously cut or copied something to the clipboard) :
- put the cursor at the location where you want to paste the item
- right click to bring up the little menu described above
- choose paste from the menu. this should paste the item that is in the clipboard to the screen or document at the location of the cursor
Note that if there is nothing in the clipboard (nothing previously cut or copied), 'paste' will be grayed out on the menu. Occasionally but very rarely 'paste' may be grayed out (unavailable) for some other reason, but this is rare.

The above is the method you would use to cut and paste the website URL to your DG post, for instance.

When you are using an application such as, for instance, MS Word sometimes the application may disable the right click menu. In that case the application usually provides its own menu (usually at the top of the page under Edit) with 'cut', 'copy', and 'paste' options which work the same as described above. (i.e., highlight the item, choose copy, etc). I typically use the right click pop-up menu when it is available and look for the application's menu if it is not. Incidentally, most browsers (IE, Firefox, etc) usually have their own menu at the top of the browser page with 'cut', 'copy', and 'paste' under Edit. You can use this menu instead of the right click pop up menu I described above. It also works the same way as described.

You can cut, copy, and paste items between applications (i.e. from a Word doc to a DG post). Just remember that cut, copy, and paste are atomic operations. Whatever you cut or copy goes into the clipboard and can then be pasted pretty much anywhere else. When you are cutting or copying you have to use the menu that is appropriate to or associated with the application you are cutting/copying from. Likewise when pasting you have to use the menu appropriate to the thing you are pasting to. What I mean by this is that if you are cutting something from a Word doc you can't use the menu at the top of the browser for that operation. If you wish to paste it to the browser, after it is cut/copied, you could use the menu at the top of the browser for that operation.

If I have made any of the above 'clear as mud' please don't hesitate to LMK. :-)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

testing

underline
italics
bold
bold underline
italics underline

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Vickie,

Were you able to follow the cut and paste instructions? If not, PLMK. I'm happy to break them down more until we find the right combo. Just let me know the 1st line where you run into problems and we can start there.

Cheryl

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Cheryl, My blood sugar sky rocketed and i was out of commission a couple of days.
I'll work on this tomorrow. i do appreciate the time you put in and it will not go to waste.
thanks,
Vickie

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Another test

Quid erat demonstrandum

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

scutler, I've been ill and had famly problems so my world has been a little skewed. Things are getting back to near normal. I wanted to thank you for posting the cut and paste info. Will get back to this later.
Vickie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Vickie,

You are very welcome. Sorry to hear things haven't been going well. Hope it gets better soon. Thanks for letting me know. When you do get the chance to try it out, don't hesitate to let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any question, any at all. No problem and remember there are no silly questions. If I didn't break it down enough the 1st time, just let me know and I'll be happy to break it down some more until we get it right.

Best of luck to you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.