RU in NH - October 11 - Part 2

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Coming from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899384/#new

Thumbnail by Candyce
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I finally got everyone in the ground, safe and sound. I used the first batch of my own compost, too!! I never thought it would take a lifetime to biodegrate peanut hulls. Everything else decomposed pretty well. Weeeeeeee!

Hooray for Harper! BTW, I hadn't heard how long it takes to compost nut shells. How long did it take?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I don't know. They still look like they did when we threw them in there a year ago. Everything else is pretty much dirt by now.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We harvested our first compost too! Isn't free stuff great!

Anna and I will be making compost next year, because I got her one of those compost tumblers for her birthday. I can't wait to use it, and then get some great looking soil!

Has anyone else used these compost tumblers?

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Candyce, I have one.
They work well, but the key is to put it where you can get at it during the winter. I put mine too far away from the Kitchen and the garden, so when it started snowing, I was out of luck.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I really want one!

Someone bought one but she is mia now. I will go and find the post :-)

Trash that idea. I remember it was MissFabulous

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I want one of those too.

So, it can be used in the winter, too? Really?

(Forgive my ignorance, but I've never owned one before ^_^)

On the news up here we have Grow It Green tips everyday. The woman said "The compost pile can heat up to 146 degrees". My gosh if that is true that would withstand
cold temps!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I put mine on the back deck for the winter last year. don't think I will this year though. I have this one....
https://www.compostumbler.com/StoreFront/08001.prod

That looks very similar to ours.
I got it for Anna from Gardener's Supply Company. They were great!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Why won't you put yours on the deck Celeste?

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

In the winter it's cold enough that it really doesn't smell but...1 warm day and PEE U!!!

Winter?
From house to start car, back in house, car warms up, back out and GO. Vice versa. Hermit here. Compost might be open door throw it out and back in house. Heat on and fan blowing towards closed door. period! :-)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That'll bring rats to your house Sherrie. They go outside for dinner that you so generously threw at them, and live in your crawl spaces to keep warm. I know. It happened to me.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Some people only compost during the part of the year there is no snow on the ground. So that time period is all relevant. ;)
This year we had so much bad weather and my plants got a lot of mold, blight, etc, so I took the garden refuse to the dump. I did compost my peelings, etc from my garden. I was afraid I would spread disease if I added other refuse.

If you want to turn over the number of times you can put the compost from the tumbler into your garden, you can add an "accelerator", I think it is called. It speeds up the time it takes to turn the garbage into compost by adding nutrients that help the process.
I had plenty of good compost for this spring, but since I did not add so much this summer, I am going to try using the compost additive to "speed things up" and add some ground leaves, grass, etc. Can let you know if it helps next spring.

Anything you can recycle and add to your garden is a good thing.
Never had a problem with odors. Don't really spend much winter time on the deck in my location. ;)
By spring, I expect to be rotating it every day and getting some sweet smelling stuff for the garden.
Cyndie

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Cyndie. I'd like to know how the accelerator goes. I've been considering getting some for my bins.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Me too.
Spending time on the deck is not an option.... the 4 dogs need to go out. I have no choice but to supervise their play time when I let them loose to romp.
Having the composter on the deck when it reached 60 degree's a few times in Jan & Feb. I could smell it. By March the days are warmer and DH will use the BBQ grill...it's on the deck. Not very appetizing with the grill on one end and the composter on the other.
Heck DH is such a red neck he BBQ's in Dec. , Jan. , & Feb. too should the whim strike him!! LOL

All Rednecks grill in Dec, Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov.

:-)

Well, you met Gregg! He's as close to a red-neck as I ever seen born as a Yankee!! But, I just tease him about it!

We have some of that accelerator to add to the composting mixture. I forgot, too, to mention to Anna that we could comp0ost over the winter. I suppose we could use the back patio, as Gregg likesd to keep that shoveled off for God knows what reason!

Thanks for all the advice, guys and gals.

I will have a picture of them today. I totally freaked out when I saw them going to Candyce's RU...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5661418

Remember I was talking about the huge wind turbines, I saw, headed your way. I talked to husband and asked them if he saw them, with the crane and the huge box. He said "no". I am going to take the camera and go get a picture of them.

Oh Sherrie. I can't wait to see that photo. Would you let me know what road, or route, they are on?

Route 10 in Lempster. Probably a 20 minute ride for you and me too! I am heading now.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out one of these weekends.

Nope tommorow. Did I spell that right?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yup.

Huh?

Coming down off the Lempster Turnpike Extention Road.

Thumbnail by

Getting closer to Route 10

Thumbnail by

Still getting closer

Thumbnail by

Wish the sun was out.

Thumbnail by

These things are HUGE!

Thumbnail by

I did not count them all :-( I gonna guess 10. Its a wind farm and is stunning to see. I missed the best pic coming north on rt 10. Oh well.

Thumbnail by

Those are awe inspiring, Sherrie. Thanks for taking the time to go and photograph the wind farm. I am going to have to get up there soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.