Himalayan Damaru ???

Sour Lake, TX

Does anyone know of this plant. I bought one from Raintree Nursery years ago. I was in Austin Tx and it grew very large, but never flowered or fruited. I am now east of Houston and brought a cutting with me and it isn't growing nearly as fast as it did
in Austin. Anyone growing this plant. I think the genus name is Maclura but I might be remembering it wrong.
Warren

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Maclura pomifera isn't tropical and isn't particularly edible (for humans at least) so since you're posting this in the tropical fruit forum I'm going to guess that's probably not what you're talking about (its common names include Osage orange, hedge apple, Bois D'arc, nothing at all that sounds like Damaru to me). I googled Himalayan Damaru and Damaru tree and got nothing, any chance you can remember another name for it? Or can you post a picture?

Sour Lake, TX

I will try to get a pic of it soon.... it is a kind of shrubby and kind of viney. It has smallish dark green shiny evergreen leaves and is thorny. I guess it is sub tropical as it survived down into the 20s in Austin,Tx.

Sarasota, FL

Those grow wild around Manhattan, Kansas so should be cold hardy enough in your area.

Sour Lake, TX

Thanks for the info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.