Hello.... look at this Canna.. first bloom

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Hello all,
I'm new to this thead and this is my first post here, though I'm 7+ years here on DG. Cannas are not much of my interest but I have been growing this one from seeds that one member by name 'windsurffer' sent me in 2003. It was not doing well as I had it growing in shade and in somewhat neglected place. Now a month or so ago, I moved this to a new location [in fact, a temporary place] where rainwater collects in a pit. Lo and behold! I got the beauty of a red bloom for the first time! The lady had the seed packet labeled 'tall red canna'. Though this plant grew good healthy leaves for 3-4 years then used to die up without flowering. But I was not disheartened. I kept the 'bulbs' moist and watered sparingly. I have just begun to love it!

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
Cleveland, OH(Zone 5b)

Very pretty Dinu. Your perseverance has paid off! How tall did it get? Do you have it in a pot or ground?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

In the ground. About 3 ft. tall up to the flower tip. I'll have to wait and see in new [and probably better and cared] conditions really how tall it could go up. I love that stunning red colour! Another is getting ready.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

nice Dinu - I bet you were so delighted to see it bloom after waiting so long !!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Here is a collage of different pictures of the same thing.

Thumbnail by Dinu
PICKETT, WI(Zone 5a)

Dinu:
Your canna is beautiful. Good for you, growing it from seed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.