Maintaining an Extrenal Drive

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a 500g Seagate. Last night i attempted to run a back up [i use Ghost] and it said my drive was full. So when i checked 'properties' indeed, it almost was [about 5% available]. So i deleted A LOT of the older back-ups, ranging from 37-41gig each, and still, it said there wasn't enough room... available space was still at 5%.

Again, i checked the properties, and the available volume had not changed. So, now i tried 'disk cleanup'. It emptied the recycle bin, i had no idea the ext. drive had one ... but now it's been working on deleting the 'compressed files' [again, i didnt know they were there] but it's been HOURS and not much change. [the progress bar on the clean up window is only at 1 bar after more than 3 hrs.]

Is this normal?

I've also attempted a 'defrag' but again, windows said there is not enough room to do so. [i'm running XP home]

It does seem some utilities do not work the same on an external drive.

Thanks,

Terese

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!