Rhododendron blooming now??

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just noticed some flowers that are open on my Rhododendron.

How common is this? I've never see that before.

TIA,

Terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Like some hydrangeas, some rhododendrons and azaleas bloom in the Fall when the temperatures go down. The best known example of this is the Encore Series of Azaleas but there are others which do this on/off depending on the weather and other issues. Meaning the plant may skip a year or two before doing this again (if it is not a variety known for this trait). For this type of plant that sometimes reblooms, the blooms come at the expense of less blooms in Spring.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Luis ... I'll watch it in the Spring to see if there are less blooms... but from what i can see with these 2 bushes, is the buds form now ... so - obviously, where these blooms currently are, there shouldnt be flowers in April.

We have had some goofy weather... a real cold/cool snap - down to lower 30's from what my kids said [i wasn't home] then back to the upper 70's and now coolish again.

weird weather......

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, weird indeed. I get blooms in Fall from the one Encore that I have but the others rarely do that now. A pair of unnamed hydrangeas in the front of the house will open one or two new blooms in the Fall too, but not reliably so. Every other year or less. Those hydrangeas bloom on old wood, like the azaleas, so the weather must be just right to produce these late blooms.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

PJM rhododendrons will sometimes have a few blooms in fall. I haven't noticed any this year though.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

those are the ones i believe i have .... but this is the first time i've seen this... or maybe it's happened and i just didnt witness it. I've had them 6 yrs now.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

It's pretty unpredictable in rhody's. Some are known to do it more than others, but it generally not something to bank on (and this is not speaking of tropical type rhody's which some do bloom late). It does tend to happen more often when the weather fluctuates in the summer with hot and cold spells. PJM and it's relatives, as said above, do have a few fall flowers occasionally. Azaleas are more predictable about it, especially the Encore group. We had an unseasonably cool week at the end of July and then it when back up to 90. There's quite a few rhody's that have opened some blooms now.

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8b)

One of my rhodys sometimes (two of the three falls we've been in our house) has a set of smaller blooms in the fall. It's blooming now, in fact. It has consistently bloomed in the spring, producing much larger blossoms and lots more of them. The fall blooms (or lack thereof) have never seemed to affect the spring bloom.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

The further south one lives, the better the chance of some fall bloomage. Which rhodie variety do you have? Do you know?

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Hers is probably PJM, or a close relative of it.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

hey yah red! i have gotten a few rove blooms on some of my dwarf rhodies too. jsut the purple ones. i chalk it up to weird weather... we had a streak of warm days that put everything into a tizzy and they didnt know what to do. now we get this freeze and im praying that it wont damage the blooms for next year.

Cincinnati, OH

My Azalea 'Rosebud' went ino a hard freeze with two flowers and a bud. It is not supposed to be a rebloomer. The freeze did just a little damage to the edges of one of the flowers.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 8a)

weve had such weird weather here ont he coast... right now its storming like crazy! have to go out during a break to see what if any damage there is to my rhodies and others green babies!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.