weevils in hardy hibiscus seed - question?

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

I am fairly new to seed collecting and was just personally introduced to the weevil. Ya!! Something new for today!

I collected hardy hibiscus seeds just 8 days ago and today found to my surprise.....weevils. Being a gardener, I'm not squirmish to bugs and am used to things crawling out of unexpected places...however I became intrigued when I realized these came out of the seed. I have perfect little holes in over a dozen seeds.

I have searched and read quite a few threads on DG about weevils and have become a little confused. Therefore I'm seeking the expertise of fellow gardeners and scientists....when you collect the dried out seed will the weevils be killed by freezing the seed or does it just incubate them until warmer temps come around? I know they will live through refrigeration but couldn't find anyone giving any direct advice. How do you trade and store hardy hibiscus seed to fend off the weevil? Also, do weevils attack 'rose of sharon' seeds? Thanks for any help and clarification!
~chele

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Chele I have same problem with my hibiscus seeds. At least I think they are weevils. Did you find any answers. Are the seeds trash. I thought I'd have bunch seeds for trade or just to share. Terry

Thumbnail by tubbytee
Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

I use ground black pepper from the table to keep weevils away from corn meal and flour and anything else they may attach.

Edmond, OK(Zone 7a)

Terry, I have found that this is common. Here are a couple things you can do:

Quoting:
Fairy, those are those pesky Hibiscus weevils. I've seen them mate and lay their eggs in/on the green developing seed pods. The larva eats the embryo out of the seed before turning in to bug form.

You could bag the seeds pods early on so they couldn't get to them. If you have seeds that you think may be infected, put them in a zip-lock bag and but them in the freezer for 3 days. It won't help seeds that have been eaten already, but it should save some.

Quoted from another thread.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

I had similar insect issues with my outside hardy hibiscus--I just physically removed them so they would not multiply and destroy the plant, and that seemed to end the invasion.

This site exposes some of the critters that are frequently found on hibiscus plants:

http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=Hibiscus&edit%5Btype%5D%5Bbgimage%5D=on

Snug

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for your help.TO the freezer with them all. Terry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.