Heat pump

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Ecrane posted a heater a while back that was a heat pump. This got me thinking a heat pump is a good idea, cheaper to operate but I don't know much about them so I called PG&E and they said that was the way to go. I found some on the internet pretty cheap. Called an couple and they all said they could be used in a greenhouse.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Linda

Mesa, AZ

Do your research as a real heat pump (common name) is actually an air conditioner operating in reverse (simple explanation) and certainly not cheap to run. A thermostatically controlled propane heater would cost less in my opinion and with a circulation fan to mix the air give you a much better heat pattern throughout the greenhouse

Ron

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is the heat pump going to be more expensive to run than a regular electric heater?

New Iberia, LA

Most heat pumps have electric heat strips to meet the demand for heat on a cold day. The heat pump is trying to remove heat from an already cold ambient temperature, which it can do but not efficiently. The colder the ambient then the less efficient the unit becomes. Here in the deep south,heat pumps are very popular because the demand for heating is small, but even here on a cold day the heat strips do become active.
Ask about the resistive heat strips before you make the purchase.
oldude

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't really know as I have no experience with heat pumps, just know that PG&E said it would be a lot cheaper. They explained why but I am electrically stupid so it was way over my head. lol
Linda

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have never heard of a heat pump used as a source of heat in a grhouse-but maybe in a small one it would be ok. I use forced air propane heaters ( the air comes out the front hot) and those buddies do great heating larger grhouses. I also have circular fans pushing the air down the grhouse. I think they are cheaper to run than a heat pump-at least for a larger grhouse. How large is yours Linda?

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I have the rion 8.5X20. so not to big. Last year a used an oil filler electric heater and my bill was off the scale. It doesn't get that cold here . Just can't imagine what people who live where its snow and windy pay.
Just trying to find the best and cheapest heat.
Thanks
Linda

Mesa, AZ

I have to agree that an active heating system using propane probably is more efficient and will surely cost less than any electrical appliance. That said, during the coldest part of winter (yes, we have winter here in AZ too) I keep my greenhouse, 10 by 12 at a minimum of 55 degrees. That is for the tropicals and such. I use about 20 pound tank a week which amounts to about 16 dollars. I use a clear pool cover to insulate and a fan in the peak to stir the air.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Heat pumps can operate as heaters or coolers. We are in TN and use a heat pump on our cabin. It's great for cooling, but for heating heat pumps do not operate efficiently with outside air temps below about 35 degrees. That's when the heating coils kick in an they become really expensive to operate. Above 35 they extract heat from the outside air and pump it inside and are economical to operate. We have a 20x36 greenhouse heated with propane and last winter spent $2000 dollars on propane. We have been looking at alternatives and have considered a heat pump, but have been put off by the cost. Can you post where you found cheap ones? The cheapest I've seen have been over $1000.

So, we are looking at a wood stove for supplemental heat on very cold nites. Unfortunately, someone has to get up a couple times a night and feed the stove. Our stove is not one that would burn all night on one load of wood. The current problem is getting the chimney through the polycarbonate skin of the greenhouse without melting it. Any suggestions? Also, I'm finding that the stove pipe and chimney components are going to cost four times what the stove cost. PFFT!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.