October Blooms, Part 3

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/910712/

This one would have had more blooms a few days ago - Royal Wasp.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Zone 1)

Very pretty Syrumani, I just love the wasp blooms!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Blooms on Buckeye Colossal last quite some time . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Lin . . .

Here is a baby Honeysuckle Rose . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(Zone 1)

This is what my Buckeye Colossal looked like at the beginning of the year ... it's almost totally dead now :( I'm such a bad plant mom.

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

At club sales, do they sell leaves too, or just plants?

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I missed the whole 2nd Oct blooms thread! I'll go back and catch up though ... ^_^

I recently turned our guest bedroom into my first real "plant" room and all the plants that are in there seem to be very happy! I still have plants spread through out the house but the majority are in here.... a few shots of my shelves...

This shelving unit is set up just for sinningias...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Another that is just for Streps ...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

And this one that has Streps and bigger sinningias on it ...

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

There are also a couple of mini greenhouses int he room with baby plants growing and all the leaves I stuck from Jim, so a full room!! I am loving it so much....

Now some of my favorite blooms from the past few days... Amy I can't thank you enough for Merry Christmas, I love this sinningia!! Here are her first blooms .....

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

A first bloom on Thompson's Helter Skelter strep. It's a fantasy and it about knocked my socks off when it opened yesterday ....

The colors are actually more shades of violety purples than the blue purple this picture shows but my camera won't catch the true colors!!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

This is micro mini sininngia Concinna, I have her growing on the open shelf in a little 1 inch self watering pot and she is happy....

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Another shot of S Concinna with my fingers in view so you can tell how little she is .... love her!!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I'll quit hogging the thread with this one LOL This is the first bloom on Spin Art ....

...it was just a baby plant this spring when Susan sent her to me and she has grown up nicely and is now showing off her first gorgeous bloom, thanks so much Susan. ^_^

~Brenda

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Forgot the picture ...duh!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
(Zone 1)

Oh Brenda ... Can I come live in your Plant Room? LOL, I can sleep on the floor!

Wow! That is really amazing ... and something that each and every one of us need and probably want ... a room strictly for wall to wall plants! I am soooo envious. Your plants are all just beautiful! I like how you have them on their own separate shelves, something I would love to do also if I just had the room.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Lin now that we don't have a guest room the "plant" room is where DH and I sleep on a blow up mattress when company comes! LOL We give up our room to guests and take the mattress on the floor! It's worth it and I like it, nice and humid in there and pretty to wake up to. ^_^

This is another micro mini sinningia that I have growing on the stand (in other words not in a glass or in a terrarium) and it is doing well too. It's name is Speckles and this is her first bloom.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Brenda, welcome back! We were just talking about you wondering what you were up to. Now we know! I love seeing your photos of your new setup. And I am in love with that strep Helter Skelter!! I want to order from LL before long and see if he has that one. LL is shipping all winter this year.

I know you are having magnificent weather while we are just bummed out with this heat of over 90 degrees every day.

Look what Goldleaf sent to me................I have never been this excited as I love my orchids which need misting.........plus episcias, Kohlerias, etc.........take a gander at this thing.....best present in the world in exchange for plants! I will take this deal anytime.

It is called Mist-n-Pour Garden Sprayer..............isn't it wonderful! Going to use it right now............Thank you, Goldleaf!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Looks neat, Gail! Let us know how it works for you!

Should I take it as a sign that the majority of blooms I like on AV's are standard size plants?

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 2:51 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have misted every plant in the house and every orchid outside. It is so neat.......even has a continuous spray of mist if you want............

(Zone 1)

Brenda, that little Speckles is adorable! I love the little ones!

Gail: Now that Mist & Pour is really something, I've never seen one but am going googling! That sure would come in handy!

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Gail your right, awesome gift, so perfect! What did you find googling Lin?? Point me there!! LOL

Gail I sent you a Helter Skelter leaf earlier this summer, you'll have to check your stands and see if it made it??

Helter Skelter has taken awhile to adjust in my house and is just now growing it's third leaf for me. If I was a good plant mommy I'd clip the bloom and let the energy go into the plant but I'm a selfish plant mommy and I want to see that gorgeous bloom. LOL

We had several mornings in the mid teens last week and day time highs only in the 30's! So I was scrambling to finish the outside work I had left to do. It's done now and I am concentrating on my inside plants once again. We do have 48 degrees today though, down right balmy out after the last couple of weeks. LOL

I ordered some sinningias from Kaurtz and was really impressed with the speed of shipping and the care in packaging!

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Wytheville, VA

Brenda, your shelves are simply beautiful! I see that you have put an individual drip plate underneath each plant. Are your plants wicked?

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi, Bemedel! Love your plant room. Isn't it great to have all or most of your plants in one space? I know you're going to love it in there especially this winter.
I am beside myself over Helter Skelter. What is the name of the other fantasy strep? The reddish one? Another beauty.

Glad you like the sprayer, Gail. Will make life easier with all your many plants to care for.

Lin, do you like the sprayer? Would you like one? If so, I will go and check if they have more. I would be pleased to do so as I owe you and it would be a way for me to do something in return for your generosity. Say yes if you want one.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can't give you any information on this mister because it says the patent is pending. I am going looking for Helter Skelter leaf.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Bummer, there are about 30 new streps in pots that I forgot to put a marker on, so I will have to wait for blooms. I keep trying to get better about marking.

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

oh wow, i would love a mister like that also,.let us know when it becomes available.Brenda, your plant room is to die for, how very nice, so which sinns did you just get.
bonnie

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Gail - would you like me to send you more markers?

(Zone 1)

I googled for the Mist & Pour Spray Bottle. Found the website with info about it: http://www.mistandpour.com/pressrelease.htm

Found it for $10.95 here: http://www.gardeningwithkids.org/13-1130.html

and $9.99 here: http://www.yardlover.com/products.php?pid=10422

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

The mister -

HYPERLINK@www.shopbehnkes.com]

(Zone 1)

GoldLeaf: You have d-mail!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Fantastic...........I want to give this as a gift to my gessie lover friends........great present............remember this label is Mist-n-Pour Sprayer. If you don't have the right name you might get an inferior product.

Frederick, MD(Zone 7a)

Lin - the 10.00 ones you linked to are not the same as the one I sent Gail. Those are hand operated misters. The 14.99 one has a battery operated motor so all you need to do is press the trigger and hold and it mists automatically.
The link I posted is the one I sent Gail.
I'll go check my mail.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That is what I meant when I said I just press and the mist keeps coming without pumping..............very often..........

Lilburn, GA

Hi everyone,

lots of lovely flowers. Brenda, i love your stands!

I cut all the blooms of my streps. I read somewhere that young plants need energy for leaves and roots.

My streps were flowering like mad. I worry because after, the leaves start to look poorly and need time to recover.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

It is hard to do Spider.............just did it an hour ago, but the plant grows so much stronger without the blooms when they are small.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

Kivit I don't wick water, just haven never gone there. I have started using capillary matting with my leaves and baby plants (works great!) and some sinningias and I have started putting circles of capillary matting material in the dishes under each plant! I put 1/4 to 1/3 perlite in the bottom of my pots so they can sit in some water and do well. So far it works well for me...

Goldleaf that reddish one is Spin Art, my camera did better with capturing it's colors. I have taken several more pictures of Helter Skelter trying to capture the true colors of it but so far no luck! It is gorgeous no matter what color it shows up in. ^_^

Helter Skelter was a lucky eBay buy! I was getting something else from the seller and bid on it to save on shipping! Score!! LOL

Bonnie the plants I bought from Kaurtz were micro mini Freckles, then Laura, Apollo and one they substituted .. Cherry Sprite. I am going to have to copy you come summer and get a room air conditioner for my plant room as it gets mighty warm in there with all those lights, but this winter it will be awesome to be busy in there.

Spider you are a stronger woman than I .... dis-budding your streps!! LOL

This is a strep that grew from the mixed seeds the Gessie Society sends with your first subscription ... so no name but very pretty. I ended up with three plants that grew with these same blooms ... any ideas as to what they might be???

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

This is another strep that grew from my free Gessie Society seeds ... it starts out a darker pink and then fades into this floozy looking pink bloom. I only had one plant like this from the seeds.

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

The third (and last) strep that ended up blooming from my mixed gessie seeds was this one, the gorgeous Blue Mars seedling. I ended up with two of these.

All the rest of my seeds were sinningias, most the really big ones and they didn't do well for me (ie: they are now gone!) I have a couple of smaller ones left and am still waiting for them to do something. LOL

~Brenda

Thumbnail by bmedel
Wytheville, VA

where do I buy capillary matting? There is so much info on this forum, so many beautiful pictures of everyones flowers, so many nice stories, and nicer people!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.