Coastal Plants of Hawai'i Island

Keaau, HI

The following pictures depict plants that are found in Beach Strand and Coastal Habitats in Windward Hawai'i Island. Most of the photos were taken at the Wai'Opae Marine Life Conservation District in Kapoho of Puna.

This plant is Ischaemum byrone, an endangered strand grass that is only found on pahoehoe lava shelves on windward coastlines of Hawai'i, East Maui, and Moloka'i.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

This is Scaevola sericea, or Naupaka. A common indigenous plant of the Half-Flower Family that is a dominant species in Coastal Shrubland Habitat. It grows directly behind the Beach Strand. (What do they call this plant in Florida and other Islands?)

Locally, Naupaka leaves are used to polish your diving mask or goggles before going snorkeling.

Keaau, HI

This is akulikuli, Sesuvium portulacastrum. A dominant strand plant across the State of Hawai'i.

Keaau, HI

This is mau'u 'aki'aki, Fimbristylis cymosa another dominant strand plant.

Akulikuli and mau'u 'aki'aki are the most common strand plants found on the Puna Coast.

Keaau, HI

Here is 'ahu'awa, Mariscus javanicus. This is a once common species, which is getting scarce from alien plant invasion.

The plant was historically used as a strainer for 'awa (Piper methysticum).

Keaau, HI

Here is the fruit of the closest thing to a native Hawaiian Rose; Osteomeles anthyllidifolia, or 'ulei in Hawaiian.

They like to live in new lava and other pristine environments.

Keaau, HI

This is 'uhaloa, Waltheria indica. A member of the Chocolate Family.

Chewing the roots of this plant is a traditional remedy for a sore throat; the abundant presence of tannins in the the roots make this traditional remedy effective.

Keaau, HI

This is alahe'e, Canthium odoratum. An indigenous tree of the Coffee Family. When alahe'e blooms the entire area carries a wonderful Gardenia-like scent!

Keaau, HI

These were just a few of the native coastal plants found in Puna.

Wai'Opae in Kapoho is significant as we are working to remove the weeds from the area and restore the native coastline.

Keaau, HI

Good to get home to my own garden!

Hope you enjoyed the Puna Coast!

Here is Hibicus kokio, Koki'o 'Ula'ula, Red Hawaiian Hibiscus. I raise many Hawaiian plants at home.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great pics! I especially like the Hib. I need to find a plant that is that red to put in my garden. lol

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Great pics, Dave. Are you also planting natives as well as weeding out the invasives along the coast line?

We have an area close to La Perouse Bay called Ahihi Bay Reserve. It is an area of great beauty with anchialine pools which have some shrimp that are found no where else in the world, and many endangered plants. The Reserve has recently been closed down for two years in order to give it a chance to recover from people destroying it - the area is mentioned in the Maui Revealed Book as being one to visit, so there has been much foot traffic from people who don't keep to the paths, and don't know what they are stepping on. I am lucky enough to be tagging along with two of the Rangers in a couple of months when they do their check of the area which should be a great learning experience for me as they are so knowledgeable.

Keaau, HI

Yes Jen, we plan to place a variety of coastal species there, as well as increase the species located there already.

When I lived on Maui, Ahihi-Kinau was one of my favorite places to visit. We used to pull weeds, watch the opae 'ula, and snorkle. The pools there contain 90 percent of the species of fish found in the State.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Dave, for the many pictures and sharing your vast knowledge. Since visiting Maui in February of this year I have been devouring every single piece of information available. Have discovered I am an islander misplaced in the middle of Texas.

Jen, that is great that you have been chose to tour the preserve. No one more deserving.

Off to the North Texas RU today.

Aloha

Princess Kilikina

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Dave, you always have something interesting and beautiful to share!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Dave, many of your beach strand plants are similar to the ones out here on Kwaj. I was suprised that I did not see a picture of one of the nearly omnipresent beach morning glorys that would cover our island given half a chance. Is it that you were not posting pics of "weeds", or by some strange chance is this area devoid of this pretty pest?

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Hi Shari,

We have several types of Beach Morning-Glorys:

Ipomoea imperati, or hunakai; Ipomoea pes-caprae, or pohuehue; and Jacquemontia ovalifolia, or pa'uohi'iaka. These are indigenous, and there are a few weeds as well.
Which species are on your coast?

I haven't caught one in flower yet, when I have been down at the coast with my camera. I'll post more coastal Hawaiian plants soon.

Aloha, Dave

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Dave,

Ipomoea pescaprae is everywhere here. And nearly always in flower. I have tried sending seeds to friends before they cracked down on our postal regs, but I never heard back as to whether or not they were viable.

The rest that you showed were very familiar to me, even though the names out here are Marshallese names rather than Hawaiian. I have been doing some study on the medicinal uses of these plants and am astonished at what can be treated with various con and de coctions from the roots, leaves, flowers and berries. Amazing!

Yokwe,
Shari

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

I've only seen it on a post(?) in Marco Island, FL. Apparently is native to Florida as well, and it looks pretty (in the picture).

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Keaau, HI

I think that getting Ipomoea pes-caprae to grow in a garden would require supplements of seawater, an anchilean substrate, and a home on an Island Coast that is within the seaspray.
I have seen pohuehue in cultivation, but it is short lived and never looks as good as in it's natural environment.

I'm very interested in the medicinal plants of the Islands, and grow many. Please show us Medicinal Plants of the Marshalls; I will start putting together a photo-essay on Hawaiian Medicinal Plants.

Aloha, Dave!

Gisborne, New Zealand

Thankyou Dave that was very interesting and informative, It's nice to compare those plants with coastal plants here that I am familiar with.
There is a close similarity with some.
Kakete Lesley

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Dave, here is a link to an article I wrote about the medicinals for DG. Let me know if there is something more specific you are interested in, and I will try to get you the information.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/242/

Yokwe,
Shari

Atenas, Costa Rica

Hola Metrosideros,

I lived in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Kwajalein. I studied the plants from Kwajalein and Ebeye and other islands. There is a very good book "Plants and Environments of the Marshall Ilsands" by Mark Merlin, Alfred Capelle, Thomas Keene, James Juvik and James Maragos.1997. Moslty all the plants have a medicinal use. This book will give you a lot of information of the traditional medicine from that area.
I went in a field trip with Arthur Whistler and his assistant when he came to make a plant survey to Kwajalein.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

One of our members is living on Kwaj now, IslandShari. How long since you left the island?

Christi

Keaau, HI

Hey Bignonia, I've got several of Mark Merlin & Jim Juvik's publications. Jim Juvik was my Geography professor. As I was the Geography Club president for two years, I got to go hiking quite a bit with Jim and Mark. Jim Juvik has access to several preserve areas here because of his studies.
Good fun to get involved in research!

Atenas, Costa Rica

I was in Kwajalein from 1996-2001. My husband got a contract there working in the Aviation Department. I got involved in the begining of the Kwajalein Public Garden.
Then we moved back to my country Costa Rica. My husband and I have friends in Hawaii. He lived there for 16 years.
I don t know IslandShari but I have read messages sent to her about the life in Kwajalein. Yes the life there is very particular. She and I met in this forum.
My interest also included rust fungi. Now I work here in a Foundation for abandoned animals (dogs and cats).
I enjoy a lot being in this kind of forum. I also belong to Foro infojardin.com (spanish) which is very similar to this one. I learn a lot about plant taxonomy from both Forums.

Saludos Louc y Metrosideros

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Buenos Dias Manana,

I love this entire website but most especially TZG for the opportunity to "meet" others from around the world.

Aloha,

Christi

Shucks, I am so far behind on reading some of these threads - how very interesting all this info is, and how nice to have new folks join in.

Aloha and welcome Awchid and Bignonia.

Shari, where are you? Hi Christi and everyone.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yokwe everyone! Hola Bignonia! My friend Maria Curtis just recently returned from a trip to Costa Rica to locate her fater and brothers that she had not seen in 37 years!!! It took them 3 weeks of intensive searching, but they finally found them, all alive and well. What a heartwrenching scene that must have been, huh? They lived originally in San Jose, CR...but some were now in Nicaragua...she and her sisters were very determined.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately...waaaaay busy. I finally fall asleep around 2:00 and then up again and going by 7:00. This time of year is always hectic for me, and now with my DH in hospital for shoulder surgery it is even busier.

Guess what I found on my kitchen table yesterday??? Christmas cards for Christi and Randy that were supposed to have been put in the envelopes with the calendars! Talk about dorkdom!!! We finally got a plane in, and in my excitement, I got all discombobulated! So...when you get these envelopes you two, don't be angry that there is no note...there really was supposed to be!!!

Hope everyone is well and happy...

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, sweetie. Didn't know about the surgery. Have been so horribly wrapped in moi. What? How? When? If you have told and I forgot I can truthfully say it is the pain meds. Can't really remember my own name some days. And another calender---how thougthful.

I have been down memory lane today looking at pictures of Houston and Maui. So nice.

Aloha and yokwe

PK

Aloha Shari, nice to hear from you - I hope all goes well for your DH with his shoulder. ^_^

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Thanks my friends. JB has been in Hono since last Sunday, various tests each day or so - then nothing but boredom. Has run into a few friends so at least found some fun occasionally. The actually surgery is tomorrow. Hopefully he will no longer have rice krispies for a shoulder, and will be able to use his arm again in 6 weeks or so.

It is 10:15 here, and I just got in from yet another meeting. Made rum balls this afternoon for my honey when he gets home - his favorite Christmas treat. Taught a group of gals how to make tamales yesterday...so was cooking for that all day the previous day - then assembly yesterday. My DD's family and my dear Talia are keeping me occupied when I am not busy working - so not much free time. Did get some pics of my Catylea in bloom - will post those on a different thread.

Ta for now - I am off for some sleep.

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have a close girl friend that had shoulder replacement 3 years ago. She didn't skip a beat then or now. The incision is remarkably small as well. Will send positive thoughts all over the Pacific that should cover you both.

Medical science is amazing. No more than putting on a new fender on a car.

Love to all of you,

Christi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.