Upland Hawaiian Plant Tour.

Keaau, HI

The following photos depict upper montane and sub-alpine plants of Hawai'i Island!

This one is Solanum incompletum; an almost extinct species from the Saddle, between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

Here is Neuraudia ovata, a nearly extinct plant from leeward Hawai'i Island.

Interesting is that Hawaiian members of the Nettles Family, have discarded their protective stinging hairs.

Keaau, HI

This is the endangered Hawaiian Plantain, Plantago hawaiiensis, known here as Laukahi.

Keaau, HI

This is rare Hawaiian Pokeweed, Phytolacca sandwichensis.

Keaau, HI

So you didn't think Hawai'i had Geraniums!

This is Geranium hypoleucum. Known as hinahina in Hawai'i.

Clarence, NY

Hey MetroDave, are these mostly wild flowers? We have "stinga nettles" here too, which are usually vines that leave a real burn. I noticed you have several species "sandwichensis." What does that mean? Also, as you get to higher altitudes do you see the flora differ, and the same plants differ in size and shape like in the Cascade mtns. of the Pacific NW?

Keaau, HI

Here is a rare member of the Cucumber Family, Sicyos macrophyllus. Known as anunu in Hawai'i.

Keaau, HI

This is Hawaiian Sandalwood or 'iliahi, Santalum paniculatum.

Keaau, HI

This is a common indigenous plant, Dodonaea viscosa or 'a'ali'i.

Below is raindeer moss, Cladina rangerifera.

Keaau, HI

Here is Gnaphalium sandwichensis, or 'ena'ena, a miniature member of the silversword complex.

Sandwich Islands? Old name for Hawaii?

Here on St Croix, there are different plants at different elevations. So, yes, Deb(Hi, Deb!) elevation does make a big difference.

There's one orchid here that lives only on rocky outcrops on the mountaintops. Some ignorant guy climbed, and brought a big one down, full of seed pods. He thought they were buds. His ears were burning when I got through with him, but I bet bet bet he didn't take it back.

Keaau, HI

This is an endangered Hawaiian raspberry, Rubus macraei.

Keaau, HI

Another member of the silversword complex (tarweeds) Dubautia ciliolata, or na'ena'e in Hawaiian.

Keaau, HI

This is a nearly extinct Hawaiian mint, Stenogyne angustifolia.

Keaau, HI

This is Hawaiian Koa, Acacia koa. The backbone of old growth Hawaiian forests

Keaau, HI

The above plants are upper montane to sub-alpine species of Hawai'i Island, found from 5,000 to 6,500 feet in elevation. Many of the plants are on the verge of extinction.

Glad I could share these photos with everyone!

Aloha, Dave

Wonderful tour, Dave, thank you!

Mm

Keaau, HI

Hi Deb & Molamola, sandwichensis refers to an old Western name for Hawai'i, the Sandwich Islands, after the Earl of Sandwich.

There are six different vegetation zones in Hawai'i, on an elevational gradient:
Beach Strand, Coastal, Lowland, Montane, Sub-Alpine, and Alpine.
Vegetation is classed in three categories defined by moisture:
Wet, Mesic, and Dry.

All the plants above are native endemic species. Most of them found only on Hawai'i Island.

Aloha, Dave

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Enjoyed the tour also!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, thank you very much for sharing the pictures and your knowledge.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Dave..thanks for the lesson and the tour!!!

Keaau, HI

This is a shot of the Saddle on Hawai'i Island at over 6,000 feet elevation. The Hills of Omaokoili are on the horizon.

This is the area of the Island where Pele (goddess of the volcano) and Poli'ahu (snow goddess of Mauna Kea) would do battle.
Pele would lay down a blanket of lava, Poli'ahu would lay down a blanket of snow.
The two goddess would deter each others efforts by covering up their work.
Of course Pele would always win in the end!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Wow, thanks for showing us all those unusual plants - I probably would never have seen them, and if I did, I wouldn't have known what I was looking at! Is that you in the picture Dave?
Thanks again, very interesting!
Jen

Keaau, HI

That would be me Jen (in need of a haircut).

I have been studying plants on the Saddle since 1990, so have a bit of an edge in locating and identifying the species. Sadly I have watched a number of rare plants disappear over the years. Many of the species are now protected in preserves.

Aloha, Dave

Camarillo, CA

Dave, thanks for the virtual tour; especially for those who cannot visit the islands in person. It helps all of us understand the incredible diversity of Hawai'i's rare endemic plants and the necessity of preserving both the plants and their fragile habitats.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the tour, Dave!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.