Clutter Reduction Action Plan after 34 years

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture of my favorite climbing rose: Sally Holmes

OK, guys 'n gals, please help me out here. I've lived in this house longer than I was old when I moved in {huh?} and I'm nearly 60; well, just 3 months shy of 60. I was married when I moved in and divorced after nearly 20 years. I added a room to the house after my divorce, a family room overlooking the patio I subsequently designed and landscaped. It was a wonderful addition and remains a delight to me. I've made significant improvements on the property because I've always been proud of it. I've managed to take care of it for all these years by myself, loving every minute of that work.

But following breast cancer treatment nearly 5 years ago (yaaaaaay!) I've suffered significant ongoing fatigue and am having a difficult time managing to care for my beloved home and gardens. Moreover, I've only recently begun to design and landscape my front yard, a longstanding goal and welcome diversion. That's another thread [chuckling]. Oh, and I work full time as a social worker in a county agency.

I am absolutely desperate about the inside of my home. I've managed to live the past 5 years by simply dropping whatever I might have in my hands and letting it lie. And there's laundry lying about, in every room and in the laundry area. And there's the paperwork stacking up absolutely everywhere! My bills are often late, my vehicle registration 2 years (eeek). I am just headed over to the post office to mail off the last of the ppwk for my 2006 and 2007 income taxes; there's doubtless a refund for each year, as there generally is. It must be submitted to IRS before 10/15 in order to get my $300 federal "giveaway."

So, you see, my life is just OUT OF CONTROL. I am managing to gear up in taking care of business in the aforementioned and other areas of my life. But I need help with 1) a CRAP plan and 2) following through on it. Encouragement to do so from others who also suffer a buildup of stuff. I need help to begin to take care of cleaning up the inside, dumping, shredding, washing, vacuuming, dusting, tossing, yadda yadda yadda.

Are some of you willing and able to spend some time helping me put that together and maybe checking in with each other managing a similar plan for themselves . . . ummm, once a week, perhaps?

Oh, and my poodles are quite ashamed of their living circumstances, BTW, but tolerate their mistress, as they love her dearly.

Thoughts, ideas, wisdom?

OK, I'm off to the post office.

Warmly and in quiet desperation,
Linda

Thumbnail by Twincol
This thread has 125 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!