Please List Your Favorite Blue Tall Bearded Irises

Hebron, KY

I planted some Irises last Fall and this Fall. None bloomed yet that were planted.

I love the color blue, it's always been my favorite color. I have added some (so far) and am thinking what other blue Iris to add next year (or the following years). Gotta add more blues! lol

Thanks!

Marilyn

I've planted......

'Best Bet'
'Elegance In Blue'
'Fogbound'
'Mystique'
'Night Hawk's Dream'
'Ripple Effect'
'Sea Power'
'Sea Swells'
'Seakist'
'Wintry Sky'

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 2:00 PM

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Don't think you can go wrong with "Dusky Challenger" or "Breakers".

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

One of my favorite blues...a bi color..."Color Coded."

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/34531/

South Hamilton, MA

Sonata in Blue (rebloomer, but not here.) Joyful Skies (Schreiner).

Hebron, KY

I planted Dusky Challenger, but I thought it was purple.

I've added Color Coded to 'my tagged favorites' and will be on the lookout for it next year.

Sonata in Blue is listed as Violet/Lavender for the bloom color. Maybe the color is wrong in the PF. ( ??? )

Joyful Skies is one I'll have to check into next year from Schreiner's.

Marilyn

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 2:19 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Marilyn, I will be able to share with you next year, mine finally took off this year.

Hebron, KY

Weegy,

Thank you so much!

I hope I'll be able to do a trade with my Irises next year with you.

Marilyn

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That would be great! When I find my pictures, I'll send you a pic of MY Color Coded, it's just such a great combo.

Hebron, KY

Weegy,

I just realized and/or remembered that you own Hank's Iris Garden! :-)

If I'm not able to do a trade next year yet, then I can buy a rhizome from you! :-)

This year, I emailed you from the Hank's site to check on when the site was 'up and running' for 2008, but at the time it was too early for orders. Sorry I forgot (in all my haste to buy Irises) to click onto it later. :-(

Marilyn

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 2:58 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That's ok Marilyn and no, you're not buying it from me!
No apology necessary.

Hebron, KY

Weegy,

Thanks so much! I still hope I can do a trade with you for it.

I was hoping that the Irises I planted last year would bloom this year, but I'll have to wait till 2009. I'm hoping that most, if not all, the ones I planted this year will bloom also.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Weegy,

You do have your pic on Hank's of Color Coded. It's beautiful! I love the fact that it's fragrant too! :-)

Marilyn

Edited for grammer, lol

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 3:58 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That is not my picture on the site, I have one, I think, on a CD...and my old computer which is not working right now...let me find the CD and I'll get it for you. It is a beauty.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I found my CD! Here is my Color Coded..it's not a great picture.

Thumbnail by weegy12
Kansas City, MO

This year was amazing in the Spring. I was able to see the blues I had purchased up to 3 years earlier. My husband loves blues and I do the ordering so I want the best for him. Of the blues that were in bloom that were wonderful this year, Cowabunga, Open Sea, Rippling River, Jean Hoffmeister, Mary Frances, Sudden Impact, Honky Tonk Blues, Princess Caroline De Monaco(sweet), Yaquina Blue(lovely), Electric Shock, Full Tide, Blue Crusader, Cafe Bleu and a few others that weren't as notable. The Sea Powers I had ordered turned out to be Teamwork and the grower has replaced them but I'll have to wait another year or two before I get to see it. I think Dusky Challenger is classed as a black but I agree it was the most stunning haunting dark blue. I couldn't wait each morning to go out to see it and the blooms seemed to last extra long. I want plenty of that one.

Irisawe

South Hamilton, MA

sonata In blue is a deep blue here (could photograph violet) as they often do--available at Winterberry so you could ask them. Blue suade shoes is also nice, bloomed out for us, but stunning at Michigan AIS convention some yrs ago.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Dusky Challenger ( whatever color it is) and Breakers, Blenheim Royal, Dangerous Mood, Sugar Blues, Habit and probably lots of others but I have a hard deciding what is blue and what is purple. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Cherryvale, KS

Heartstring Strummer I'm going to send you several that I have pictures!! There are others that are great, but I don't have pictures on the computer!!LOL This is a beautiful iris!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Blue Temptation The next two are Schreiner intros. that I received as bonus iris on two different orders. I have never ordered from Superstition Gardens. Do they have a web site or a great catalog?

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Blueberry Bliss!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Mornig Twilight (Keppel) Either received as a bonus or bought at club auction!! I absolutely love the colors in this iris!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Sky Search Got at a club sale!! Grows great!! Had a pretty long bloom time!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Stairway To Heaven Great Dyke's winner!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Cherryvale, KS

Unfinished Business That is all the pictures of blue in this group of pictures!! Happy Sunday!!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
South Hamilton, MA

Superstition catalog doesn't have pictures. Those are on the website:http://community.webshots.com/user/rict103.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good that you pointed that out, IrisMa. When I first started looking at Superstition Gardens, I couldn't figure out where their prices were and was very frustrated. Then I found out about their printed catalog and ordered one. The provide a huge number of cultivars at great prices and in excellent condition. I have bought a great many irises from them -- and they keep more of the old cultivars than most nurseries. So if there is something you are looking for that is 10 or 15 years old, Superstition is very likely to have it.

South Hamilton, MA

The revese was true here. We have ordered from them for some yrs & just got our computer in aug.2007.

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

This year I planted Breakers and Color Me Blue.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Looks blue to me.

Thumbnail by DaLoveRat
Hebron, KY

Sorry that I didn't get back sooner.

Thanks for all the wonderful blue pics and names to me to ponder for next year!

You've been so helpful!

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.