Found this on my dogwood

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

I have had dogwoods in my garden since 1948, when we had to built a new house about 8 years ago almost next door to the old one, we planted another one. For the first time in all those years I have never seen this on any of them. Can you tell me about it? Don't even know what to call it, seeds?

Thumbnail by Maria
Atkinson, NH(Zone 5a)

Interesting, because I have a 3 year old Kousa with same things...I assumed it was seed pods...
Hope you get an answer...

Liza

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I would say that they are seed pods. BEV Google it

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

The red or yellow berries are used in drugs and tonic.
The reason you don't see 'em, is really quite ironic.
They don't have lots of flavor, and seldom slake your thirst,
But birdies like their savor, and often eat them first!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Maria on seed trading they are talking about the dogwoods and the seeds. Look there. It says Chinese Dogwood about 6 or7 threads down. Hope this helps. BEV

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

thanks for your replies and help (Don, very funny :-)).

Just thought it very strange, and they are the only two on the whole tree and also think very pretty.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

My dogwood did this.......

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Whoops! Wrong picture....those are the blueberries! lol

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

That looks like a blueberry bush. Bev

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

My brain is not functioning well this morning! This is the picture I meant to include.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Pixie,
Never seen a dogwood like that either but I do like your blueberries, How old is that bush? I understand they are sort of hard to start

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I have no idea how old it is....I didn't plant it the birds did! LOL

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

pixie, lol, I had one of those too., the present owner of our old house built in 1840, decided to cut it off, I think it seeded about 20 years ago, it was beautiful.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I've lived here for 22 years and just noticed it last year. I guess it never flowered or berried before...or i've been blind as a bat for the last 20 years. lol

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

It's the fruit, Maria. Must be a kousa.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/216203/

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi Victor,thank you
have been told it is

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

celeste that could be a pagoda dogwood

(Zone 4a)

Hmmm I have no dogwood anymore LOL!!! I took it down and put a clematis in it's place. Someone on this site will never forgive me either LOL

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Just wondering Dawn, why would you take a dogwood down for a clematis?

Yes, Dawn. Why would you?!!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

must be a VERY NICE clematis????

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

you mentioned planting a second one maybe it needed cross polination and that is why you now have berries

Warners, NY

I think those are C. kousa seeds alright, I saw one loaded with seeds somewhere(I'm 72 and sometimes my memory is just plain shot). The one up around Ontario has just small single berries-I stuck some in the fridg once and managed to germinate them but the blasted rabbits ate them, the other one is I think Cornelian Cherry?? and its a shrub I'd like to plant the native flowering dogwood under my acorn grown oak but the rabbits or the deer eat everything around here. The wild one is Conus florida--I guess?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

IT IS A KOUSA TREE, WENT THROUGH MY FILES, IT WAS PLANTED IN 20O2, 7 FEET TALL AT $ 69.00, THANKS TO ALL FOR INFO.

(Zone 4a)

Ha! The dogwood I had drove me crazy. I guess I just didn't like it. I pulled out the darn thing with the help of dh and planted 2 clematises in its place with a wrought iron trellis.

Victor always gives me grief....now I think more of you will too LOL!!

South Hamilton, MA

Watch out for the clematis people. I went to a specialty nursery for them in england many yrs ago & they had a good looking iris, but they didn't know what it was--it was a median too!

(Zone 4a)

Teehee....well I do like to think my interests are broader than just clematis.....I just don't have much of a yard for all the plants I would love to have.

Ain't that the truth?!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.