Container Renovations 5! (smile)

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Kat,
I want the recipe too please. I'm trying to make more things at home cuz of my allergies.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Ahhhhh Jeanne..don't give up! I remember seeing your photo's of your crossbreedings and it was really exciting!

Everything needs protection (I've found out this year!) I may have lost some of my favorites but only time will tell.

And there is NO WAY Jeanne...you're far too adventurous for Hibiscus!!! hehe. You need something to worry about!!!!

Kat

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Today I got to repot some of my houseplants and tomorrow I'm going to finish the ones that needed new pots. I'm also starting seeds and getting my garden notebook going. Isn't spring a funtime of the year? I know it isn't here yet, but I'm much closer to it here than I was in North Dakota. To bad we are renting right now, because this yard needs some work. Wish me well with doing the seeds this year, this is the first time that I have tried it for this many seeds.

Jeanne,
Now you know that half the fun of gardening is the worrying. Besides the tropical hibs are prettier. I can't wait to be able to put my white bops, palms, bougs, and other trops that I have and will have outside. It is going to be a jungle when I'm done. Oh boy I love gardening.
Tina

Tina...you need to find a way to move to Florida! hahaha. I can't believe that you've been growing all these tropicals in ND and OK...I have to really give you a lot of credit. It's hard enough to keep these plants growing well in a tropical place!

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Kat,
I try, although sometimes it doesn't work to well for me. I had a papaya that I brought here with me that didn't survive and of course that was the one I really wanted too. The others weren't so bad, at least not in ND. I had a 3rd bedroom that got plenty of sun so I opened the blinds and put in a warm mist humidifer and voila beautiful plants all around. I just had to remember to keep feeling the humidifer. Now my allergy dr tells me that is the worst thing I can do for my allergies. Oh well that's why there is medicine. Tina

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Kat, check out the "Ideas, Please" thread on the Garden Art forum. On Aug. 3, 2008, a photo of a root carving was posted; and it was so "you." I think you'll love it.

bivbiv - looked, but can't find it. Can you post a link as I'd love to see it!

I'm still leary of the weather here as it's been really unpredictable. Last few days have been beautiful and I sure hope the cold is behind us. I did plant a few planters this weekend though. One to match the Geraniums and Dusty miller from a couple of weeks ago, a planter mixed with purple/white petunias and pansies as well as a real happy planter with a lot of different plants (see next photo)

Thumbnail by KatG
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

KatG is that Flowering Kale on left & right in the planter.on the right

Tubby

This is kind of an unusual planter that I put together. Everything is kind of drab right now (even here in Fla) and just wanted some nice color! I LOVE ornamental Kale. I tried growing some last year and I'm out of the zone, but happened to come across these incredible plants from Target (bargain at 2.79 each!). I know they're not going to be with me for a long time, but I can enjoy them for problably a couple of months until the real heat comes. The daisy's and allysum will probably expire also, but I have that foxtail fern in the middle that will take over.

Not here for a long time...but will provide a lot of beauty for a couple of months...

Thumbnail by KatG

Tubby - You got it! Don't you just love that plant?

Things are still growing though...despite the cold. Here's a pic today of some of my last year's containers. Check out the new haircut on the head! hahaha

Thumbnail by KatG
Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

KatG yes DW wants some this year.Thanks.Now i know why..

Tubby - If you haven't already, you really have to check out the threads posted by Tomtom! This lady is the QUEEN of container gardening and inspires me so much. She is just amazing. She uses a lot of ornamental kale and other wonderful and unusual plants. I just love the way she thinks!

Here's a link to the threads she has started. She is just so talented and I look forward to every picture she posts.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/threads.php?user=Tomtom

Kat

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

KatG very impressive Thanks

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Love your plant Kat! I also love all of TomTom's threads.....they are soooo good! It's supposed to get cold here in the morning for a few days....but chilly, not near freezing so everything so should be OK!

Still at my daughter's working on the dollhouse.....I've got the exterior painted and am now starting on the interior with the wall paper. Busy, busy, busy!

Hope everyone is OK! We are!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice to see plants from the south.
Northern here , its still crispy cold.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry, I didn't check this thread for a while Wayne Hibbs Farm and Garden Center, 735 Beneva Road Sarasota, 366-4954 has those planters in terracota and some sort of green. I think $99.00. they are close to Fruitville Road. You can also check out the Amish Heritage House Restaurant and bakery, not Fancy but good food, interesting on Bahia Vista Ave. Helene

ge1836 - Sure hope it warms up soon for you! It sure seems like it's been a brutal winter! I was up in Niagara Falls NY about 3 weeks ago and thought I was going to die! There wasn't a lot of snow, but the wind just goes right through you! Arrrrrrrggggghhhh

Jeanne - You have to post some photo's of the Dollhouse! Please...It sounds fantastic!

I made a Dollhouse for my neice several years ago from a kit...it was very time consuming, but turned out gorgeous!

Kat

Helene: Thank you so much for the link. I just love that planter and just can't find it anynore...The one I have right now is mostly filled with fresh herbs. There's nothing like loving to cook and going out the the garden to get a fresh handful of herbs..

Thank you again

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Kate-g youve got it ,freezing cold and grey ,spring is so welcome and its almost here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought this womans work a month ago. Just delivered it.
I am sooooo happppy. I realize its not everyones taste but I'm a happy camper

Thumbnail by ge1836
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, I really like that. Where did you order if from if I am ask. . .

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

She is a local sculptor who works in one -of- a kind. I saw her work in a gallery.
I had been looking for something for the garden on the net and found it right under my nose
http://www.nancyvalle.com/NancyValle.com/Welcome.html

ge1836 - Those are really very beautiful and unique. Are you bringing them outside for the summer? Thanks for the link to her work.

Kat

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes we have freezing and rain until May so they will go out then. Glad you liked them.

Cliff Dweller, WA(Zone 8b)

ge1836
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I like that artists work JUST FINE! I love unique stuff (thanks for her website).

KateG
Oh myyyyy... I also LOVE the ladies head planter. I was just going to launch a search when I read your comments. BUMMER! I made my partner come and look at her alll glitzed out with her jewelry. That is really my cup of tea for fun yard art.

I have a shabby chic garden sink in my yard made of OLD car parts...lmao I love it. Eventually it will be next to my potting shed. I am so GLAD I moved fast as these people vanished right after starting to make these. I got one of 2 that he made (for $20). I got such a kick out of it that I had ordered 3 more for my local gardening partners in crime , but when I drove back to their place a month later to see how the progress was going....the place was EMPTY. I was so bummed. I'm glad I never paid deposits on the sinks I had ordered for gifts, but I sure wish they would have made them. However, I was TRIPLE glad I had mine!

This message was edited Mar 22, 2009 7:27 AM

Thumbnail by Highmtn
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice picture

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

What is your best Rose mix for plants in containers? Mine always turn yellow or they look dry and leaves curl and look dry. I need to container garden because I have vermin and bad bad soil and too much of it too in the desert? help!

Gotta say, I've had a late start this year as it's been chilly and I've just put off planting annuals. However, I've got the bug in the past couple of weeks and here's a bunch I planted, ready to exchange for withered lizard-lounge plants!

Thumbnail by KatG

Kangaroo paws and assorted foliage plants...

Thumbnail by KatG

Kangaroo Plant converted into a container...

Thumbnail by KatG

Ooooops, wrong photo last time...Here's kangaroo paws planted in a mixed container...

Thumbnail by KatG

An amazing pot of "Oxalis"! There are many people who put this plant in the weed catagory...but I just love it in a pot!

Thumbnail by KatG

A cheery mix of Delphinium, white lubilia and fuschia geraniums...

This message was edited Apr 9, 2009 12:32 AM

Thumbnail by KatG

This is a first for me! One of my friends gave me this sick little cutting last year. It wouldn't do anything and nearly died. I tucked it into a pot with my Mandevilla and it just took off. I've got it growing with Red and White Mandevilla...If they're all blooming on July 4th, it's going to be quite patriotic!!!

Thumbnail by KatG

It's been a gorgeous day today for Palms and Orchids...

Thumbnail by KatG

Home depot was having a sale on Palms. I'm in love with silver plants...Planted this Bismarck with pink petunias, white bacopa and dusty miller in a huge pot!

Thumbnail by KatG

Some new Hair-do's! This is how my head felt today...I had a lot going on! LOL

Thumbnail by KatG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.