Container Renovations 5! (smile)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Glad to see you back KatG! We all were really worried about you! So glad that you are OK!

Jeanne

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't do that again Kat. Make sure that this is on your watched threads so we don't miss you so much. Glad to see that your bougs and other plants are doing ok too. Tina

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Saw this today in a nursery on Beneva Road in Sarasota

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Very pretty!

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Flowerofscotland wanted to know where to get KatG's planter. Nursery in Sarasota.

Katg - is this a coleus or a Parilla?

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

That looks like a perilla

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you so much again for all your concern...

I think it's Coleus, but then again you just never know as things are mismarked. It's really pretty though.

Helene...I just love that planter. Which nursery did you see it at as I would love to get another one. I bought mine originally from a company online called Arecelystackers and they're no longer to be found. Even contacted the company that made them and got no response. I've had this for a while and mostly I plant herbs and flowers. Mine has gone through so many stages!

Funny thing...I just replanted some of the pockets and top yesterday. I love Pansies, but they don't love me. Thought I would try them on the top layer though. Also replanted some of the herbs...Some of the ones I planted a few months ago are going great...others you just have to replace every so often. When I'm cooking, I just love going out there and grabbing a fresh handful of herbs.

Thumbnail by KatG

It's just had so many different looks over the years...

Thumbnail by KatG

Another planting...

Thumbnail by KatG

And this one is crazy...

Thumbnail by KatG
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That's pretty! I love the last one!

I haven't been doing a lot in the yard as it's been such a weird winter - too cold and I've just been waiting for a little warm-up here. We had some freezing nights but I was lucky enough not to have lost too much. Some of my containers are showing some stress, but not to the point of dying! I did cover everything up, everytime we had freeze warnings...

Thumbnail by KatG

This weekend was gorgeous though. Don and I went for our typical Friday night date at Lowes - TGI Fridays outdoors after, so I can watch the truck and my plants! hehehe. I am loving my potting area. I hate to admit that I bought preplanted hanging containers, but they were $6 a piece and I can't buy the plants, pots and soil for that! They were really nice and healthy - Trailing Verbena??? We'll see...

Thumbnail by KatG

Another view...

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

It has been quite a weird winter everywhere. North Dakota hasn't been this cold for this long in at least 7 years or more. Oklahoma has really warm days and then it will turn cold 2 days later. I'm surprised that I'm not sick. I replanted some houseplants today outside something I couldn't have done in North Dakota. Tomorrow I will start some seeds. I can't wait. Tina

Oooops...pic didn't attach!

Thumbnail by KatG

I need to revive my female heads...but this male with the Burro's tail is so incredible!

Thumbnail by KatG

The back of his head is getting so long...I should probably start a little Burro's tail farm! hehe

Thumbnail by KatG

I cut all the ice plant back a few months ago in these Chinese Fan Palms, as well as the copper plant...It's all coming back really well. Need to get out there and scrub the pot though.

Thumbnail by KatG

For all the cold weather we've had this season, I have to say that the lizard lounge is hanging in! I'm just waiting a few more weeks until I start putting in some really tender annuals...

Thumbnail by KatG
Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow the head looks fantastic.

All of these are also in containers except for the philodendrum...have survived quite well.

Thumbnail by KatG

Yesterday I planted this huge pot of Bougainvillea...It's something that I'm going to keep trimmed as they get huge. I just wanted some nice color outside the poolcage and something that didn't require a lot of water...

Thumbnail by KatG

Also planted a big pot of Fuschia Geraniums and Dusty Miller...another low maintenance pot!

Thumbnail by KatG

Some of my containers have been doing really well. The one to the left is Hawaiian Snowbush with some sort of Joyweed...It hasn't grown out of control and has kept it's shape. The one to the right is Ground Orchids (which bloomed for months and have obviously expired) as well as Carpet Bugle and SP Vine...Can't wait to see the ground orchids bloom again...

Thumbnail by KatG

Thanks Jeanne...Good to see you again! Pat in my office was telling me about your funny exchange. I had a good chuckle from that one!
Hope things are going well for you.

Kat

Tina...I can't believe that you're already planting things outside? I am sure though that you are probably enjoying this climate so much more than ND!!!

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

Kat,
Oh yes. I especially like the fact that it will be 70 here and -10 in North Dakota. I love your plants and can't wait to start my garden outside. I'm still trying to decide which plants are going into some of my containers.

Tina: You have a great selection of things to grow in your zone. Plants I miss from the north like Sedum, Lilacs, Hosta's, Hydrangeas, Climatis. You would think that they would love the heat, but they just melt! On the other hand though, I'm pretty lucky to be able to grow so much here, year round! (so I better shut up! hahaha)

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

You are right about that, the plants not the other. I can't wait to start experimenting with all of my new choices now. It's going to be fun.

Sounds like you are going to have some fun Tina...

Talk about fun...I've had some also as I've discovered Soap Making! I am addicted! I started a few months ago and keep experimenting with it. Just cut some of the bars I made last week. It's like a soap-making factory on my dining room table! No need for Glade air fresheners around here! hehe

Thumbnail by KatG
Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

How did you get involved in making soap? I would love to learn how to do that too. Tina

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I looked into soap making once and it looked like more than I wanted to take on. Is it difficult?

Lynn

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Kat, that was funny! We were so worried about you because we had not heard from you in so long.

I'm ok. Been working on my dollhouse and my granddaughters'. Now when I make things I need to make them in triplicate! HaHa.

I have new threads over in Crafting and Decorating if you want to go look at them.

Some of my Spring flowers have started to bloom.....The Jasmine smells sooo good!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Tina and Irwells...

I tried making soap years ago and it really discouraged me because it was like a lump of glue when I finished. Maybe I'm more patient now, but I had bought a few really nice bars of goatmilk soap and thought...why can't I make this?

I have to say that I just LOVE making it! it sounds weird, but you have all these liquid oils and all of a sudden they're solid. Love experimenting with the fragrances too.

It's not that hard and you have to get over the Lye thing unfortunately, you can't make soap without it. You just have to be really carefull as it can be really dangerous. (spills, splashes, etc).

I basically picked it all up again from the Internet...there are so many soap-making sites. They range from recipes using Crisco/Deer Fat to some really exotic oils.

Soap making is just such a real interesting challenge...and I get so Peed-off, when it doesn't turn out. And you never know as it takes weeks to cure.Right now I've got a beautiful batch of Rose soap that is turning so dark in color??? Smells fantastic, but I don't like the color! Most likely, it's because of the fragrance oils...Who knows?

I'm using some incredible oils though and you can sure feel it on your skin when you bathe. - Sweet Almond. Apricot kernel, Avocado, Coconut, Olive, Cocoa Butter, Palm, Shea Butter, Sunflower Seed Oil, and Goats milk.

It's really enjoyable and rewarding...I think the key is precise measurements. I bought a great little digital scale and it's really helped to make better soap. If anybody would like a recipe, let me know.

Kat

My friend has been selling it in his store...Made some attractive packaging for it...

Thumbnail by KatG
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

How do you make soap? Can you use the flower petals..... I would love to capture the fragrance of that Jasmine!

My Camelias and azaleas are in bloom also. Finally Spring is almost here!

Most of my babies will be in their GH until March 17 or April 1st......Then hopefully the daylily seedlings that I planted three years ago will bloom. If not....they will be goners.....no more waiting! I can use the space for something that will bloom!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info. I would love the "recipe". Please Dmail me! Where did you get your "oils" and the lye? The way my hands shake that might not be too good of an idea right now.......but I really would like to know!

Those are GREAT packages! Just beautiful! You did a wonderful job! WOW! How much are your packages?

Thanks!

Jeanne

This message was edited Feb 18, 2009 12:35 AM

Jasmine you may be able to infuse in oil, but the most are steam infused. It's too bad and I know that some people incorporate some of the petals in their soap but they turn color and burn with the Lye process. Looks bad. I added some lavender flowers into a batch and threw it out as it looked like rodent poop when it started to cure.

Sounds like you've been busy Jeanne...will definitely check out the craft thread! Kick those daylilly seedlings in the Butt if they don't bloom this year!!! Tell them you need to Move on! hehehe

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Believe me I AM! I still have daylily seeds that I didn't plant last year. If these don't bloom then my daylily crossing days are over! I will just enjoy the hybrids that I have that do bloom. So many of my good ones.....Darla Anita, for example have died. I could have spent that $25. each on alot of other things!

Daylilies and I are almost done. Love tropicals if they just didn't have to be protected...... I really just want hardy hibiscus that can survive anything! That's it....if it can't make it on it's own....oh well! Too much for me to worry about.

Miniatures on the other hand I can lift, don't have to water or feed!!!! HAHA!

Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.