Need help: how deep to plant?

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I read over the planting directions on Garden Crossings, and it said to plant species clematis at the same depth as they were potted, and to plant hybrids 2" deeper. How do I know if mine are species or hybrids? I looked carefully at the descriptions at Garden Crossings, and only one specified a hybrid. Is there a simple way to tell them apart?

I ordered:
Roguchi
Rosemoor
Clematis viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans'
Suzanne
Warsaw Nike

Can I guess from the name that the viticella is a species, and shouldn't be planted deeper?

I need to get these in the ground today, and don't want to mess up! Help!

Angie

Delaware, OH

the most sure way to tell is to look at the roots. if the root is a fine and small root with many many small fine pieces it is a species. if it is a spaghetti type root, thicker with fewer of them, it is a cultivar or hybrid which needs to be planed 2 to 4 inches deeper than the soil line of the pot it comes to you in.
you probably didn't order any species, you can also look them up on line. but checking the root type is the easiest way.
oh! just saw you listed yours, they are all cultivars or hybrids to be planted deeply.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Niobe! I knew this was the right place to come for advice! They did all have thicker roots, though the Roguchi was a little finer. I planted them about 3" deeper than in the pot. I just can't wait to see them in bloom!

Delaware, OH

rooguchi is herbacoeus and can stand a little less soil, so keep an eye on it and maybe brush a little soil away for the base of the plant it should be fine though. for most of us, depending on our garden methods, watering , and freezing of soil raises the plant and the deeper planting allows for that. also it allows the stems to form new shoots which protect you if the main shoot of the plant wilts or dies back.
goodluck. sounds like a nice group of plants that you ordered. the vitacella you have is not a species, it is just hybridized from vitacella as part of the genetics. just go by the root type with clems, most people do not order or grow the real species plants, they take up a lot of room (very vigorous)and have smaller, much less showy flowers for the most part.
have fun!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I saw a couple of posts referring to your planting instructions (a swimming pool?) but just couldn't find anywhere a description of what that meant. I know you have TONS of clematis and lots of experience. . .would you share your wisdom with a newbie? ;o)

Delaware, OH

my pleasure. it all learn as you go.
i usually have the hole dug in advance. when time to plant i fill the hole with water to the top and watch it drain a couple of times to completely saturate the area around the hole (and double check drainage).
next i fill it again, remove the clem or the root from the pot or package and immerse the clem in the "swimming pool". it soaks up even more water. as the water begins to drain from the hole, i usually refill it yet again (with the clem still in there) and when it is again draining begin backfilling the hole with the soil from the hole that we have previously ammeded with peat, our own compost or a purchased compost, some gravel maybe, some bone meal,...what ever your own recipe is...i usually use vermiculite or perlite in the mix too.
back fill the hole and use your hand to loosen the root and position the clem as you want it. if it is to low, you can ease it higher and if too low, go underneath and gently position it lower. we call it "swimming pool" cause the clem goes right into the hole of water for a hydrating bath.
i also take the top of a cheap nursery pot approx 12 inches in diameter(i cut the top 4 inches of so from the pot) and i position it as a collar around the new clem, burying it an inch or so and leaving the top as a sturdy form to hold soil in and identify the spot where the clem is. i have had such good results with this, that i have just completed this summer a retro fit of all my 300+ clems with a nursery pot top collar. for larger clems that you can not put the plastic collar around, i cut it, form it around the clem and staple it back into the circle after it is around the clem. i used to use a circle of rocks around the clem to identify the area and hold in soil, but the nursery pot collar works better. in some areas, i then use decorative rock around the part of the collar that shows to minimize the appearance of it. however, companion plantings usually mask the edge of the collar in the months where you care what it looks like. you can also push your regular border(hardwood) mulch up around the outside of the collar to hide it if you do not want it to show. in areas with slugs use gritty gravel around the outside of the collar and/ or even top dress the clem with pea gravel to stop slug travel to your clem.
the collars also help the area immediately around the clem hold in a bit more moisture between waterings. i do not plant clems without the collars and i always use my "swimming pool" method...both have improved my survival and thrive rate immensely. both learned OTJ by trial and error! have fun, and hope this info is helpful!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, sounds like a great system! I'll have to go add collars to my clems! I do that with my tomatoes, and it has made a great difference.

Delaware, OH

never heard of it with tomatoes, but i never heard of it with clems either .....makes sense as both should be planted deeply, even tho one is an annual one clems perennial.

i can not tell you how much this has added to my success rate...i would not plant any other way now. (i love to hand water with an open hose) and the plastic collar allows you to flood the area without harming the plant or soil set up.next year i will try this on my tomatoes for sure.

thanks for both the feedback and the idea bookerc1!!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

niobe:

Do you have a picture showing the ring around the clem that you would care to share. I think I understand what you are saying, but you know how great a picture can be...

thanks

Janet

Delaware, OH

yes, here is one.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks niobe for the picture. I did run across an earlier thread of yours with a picture and your directions.... so thank for posting again.

Janet

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Could someone post the link to the earlier thread about it? I just can't find it for some reason, and I thought I was pretty savvy about searching!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.