Name that worm!

Chesapeake, VA

OK, this is the wrong forum for this, maybe. But I figure I know half the people here, so I feel at home asking this in the Seed forum. What do you call those worms that show up in webs, usually on pecan trees? Do they drop out of the webs? I just want to know so I can look them up to learn more about them. Disgusting things, but inquiring minds want to know (so they can get rid of them). I don't have any pictures, because I squash them in panic when I run across them. They seem to be dropping out of the sky - I figure they drop like a spider on strings of the web that drift out on the wind. Help!

ATTACK OF THE KILLER WORMS, part2, continued...

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Half the time I wish pecan trees grew in my area and the remember the list of pests that affect pecans...oh well, I still wish they grew here ;) If you have the webs it sounds like fall webworms plaguing your pecan.

~Amanda

Chesapeake, VA

Are they also called bagworms?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

No, they're not the same thing, but bag worms may also be pests of pecan trees.

They're actually really easy to tell apart. The bag worms (Thyridopteryx ephemeraeformis) actually make these peculiar little 'bags' that they spin then cover with bits of things from the trees - I'm not completely but, I think each bag only contains one maturing insect (though you could very easily have many bags on a tree) while the fall webworms (Hyphantria cunea) make mass silky net looking 'nests' that contain oh so many 'delightful' caterpillars...

Chesapeake, VA

Sounds totally gross.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

lol , I used to pick bagworms off the shrubs for my mother for 25cents a bucket.. the other ones that fell from the tress were like little wispey things that stuck to your cheek if you ran into one.. they were about 1 quarter of an inch long dangling off a string of silk

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.