Any Interest in Vaccinium Ovatum Seeds?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't have any reason to collect them for myself (except to eat ;)) since I have a forest fully of these beautiful and yummy plants, but if there is any interest in the seeds I would be more than happy to collect and process seeds for planting. They're ripe now so if anyone thinks they might be interested just let me know.

~Amanda

Louisville, KY

Hey, thanks. I wouldn't mind trying a few.
You have d-mail.

's-Gravenhage, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Spooky,

I would like to get them too!

Sent you d-mail......

Cincinnati, OH

Ditto

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

You got them - I already have a pile of seeds cleaned, dried and ready to go and I'm doing another big huckleberry harvest this weekend.

~Amanda

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Amanda,

I'd be interested too.

Edited to ask:

Oh what kind of Vaccinium Ovatum are they?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Vaccinium+Ovatum&Search=Search+PlantFiles

~* Robin

This message was edited Oct 18, 2008 6:53 AM

Cincinnati, OH

Learned something.
I did not know there was a cultivar of the Evergreen Huckleberry, 'Thunderbird'.
There are many cultivars of Vaccinium vitis-ideae (Euro Lingonberry, a commercial crop). I have the only cultivar of Vaccinium vitis-ideae minor ("Wild Lingolberry", smaller North American native). 'City of Nome' is only 1 cm tall. Isn't it still a shrub?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would dearly love to have some. What do I need to do?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Robin, thank you for your interest. These are species Vaccinium ovatum seeds (they grow wilde here) so no cultivator on these and the berries are more variable than 'Thunderbird' but they're all varying degrees of delicious and I only collect seeds from the yummiest ones. Do you still have any seeds available for the Magnolia stellata?

UUallace, is the 'City of Nome' really only 1cm tall? How cute ;) Regardless of size, I suppose since it's still a shrub species and still has a shrub structure it would still get to be called a shrub despite it's itty-bitty stature.

CajuninKy - I got you already. I sent you a D-Mail early this morning so just let me know on that and I'll get some seeds your way.

~Amanda

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Amanda, I would be very interested in some seed, as well. Right now, all I really have for trade are some wildflower seeds: turtlehead, virgin's bower vine, NY ironweed, flat-topped white aster and vervain.

I will be collecting some rose seed soon and Chinese dogwood seed.

let me know if any of this interests you.
Kathleen

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I never thought about collecting seeds from our local wildflowers. I don't know why it never occured to me. Others might be very interested in them. I wonder if it is too late?
There are lts of Redbuds and Mimosas covered with seed pods.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Amanda Wrote:

Quoting:
Do you still have any seeds available for the Magnolia stellata?

Yep, I just came across them this very afternoon!

Soak them for 6 hours in warm water, then sow them ASAP! They need to go outside for the winter; Ok?

Trade?

I'll send you my addy.

~* Robin

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

There’s nothing shabby about any of those varieties, Kathleen. I’d most certainly love to trade for some Turtlehead seeds (and if I have anything else you’re interested in let me know when those Chinese dogwood seeds are ready ;)).

Definitely take a look at what plants are growing around you, CajuninKy – someone’s native is someone else’s exotic plant. I was about to pay big money for Vaccinium ovatum plants before I moved here and ended up with them growing wild in my woods. And there are plenty of people living over here on the west coast that would love seeds for Eastern Redbuds and Mimosas – I finally have one, but the Mimosas in particular can be difficult to find around here.

Fantastic, Robin. That would be absolutely lovely and thank you very much for the sowing info.

~Amanda

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Wonderful! I am interested in your Canadian columbine, if you still have some for trade. I'll dmail my address.

Cincinnati, OH

Yes 'City of Nome' is tiny. It would make a good ground cover for bonsai.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/mttahoma/tahoma2.html

6098 VACCINIUM MACROCARPON `HAMILTON’ H-4” A very pretty and unusual form of this species which forms dense little cushions which cover themselves with lovely pink blooms in summer. The blooms open almost flat. Small enough for a trough. P,r,t. $7.00

6108 VACCINIUM VITUS-IDEA `CITY OF NOME’ H-1” We found this ultra tiny form of this species near Nome, Alaska. Dense mats of rounded, dark-green leaves with pink urn-shaped blooms. Perfect in a trough. P,r,t. $7.00

Redwood City, CA

I would be interested. These grow in profusion in my area (California redwoods), but most plants fruit very sparsely. Perhaps your seeds would do OK in my garden.
Downside to trying to grow them here, in my garden. I have poor drainage under the redwoods, and wrong type of soil in the back of the property where the drainage is best. Perhaps I could mix them into the topsoil along the fence where the blueberries are growing.
If these are gone for the year, then I'd be interested for next year.
Incidentally, my father is the person who spearheaded the preservation of Huckleberry Trail in the East Bay Regional Parks District in the hills behind Oakland. We used to pick two species of Huckleberries there when I was a kid, before there was a public park there. Yes, I'm that old. He found someone illegally (no permit) clearing land at one end of the trail in anticipation of applying for a permit to develop the land for houses. He notified the appropriate authorities and obtained an injunction against further activities by this would-be speculator.
So, where do the fruit grow in your area? Paul

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Amanda,
I would love some is there something you are looking for?

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I would love to have some too, I'll check to see if I have any Missouri natives you want.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I'll take some too if you still have any.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i would love to try them too

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Amanda,
You have DMail.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Amanda if you still have or are able to get any I yo would love some.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Paul,

The ones here fruit quite generously – enough that my family never manages to come close to picking all of them (of course we also have a great many of the shrubs on our property).

They’re quite delicious and of course the wildlife loves them as well – they’re what’s been sustaining a lot of our birds here through the unusually heavy snowfall we’ve been having here. But of course that means that the birds have been eating them in vast quantity and for all intensive purposes they have cleaned the shrubs of berries for this year. However, I would of course be more than happy to harvest seeds for you (and anyone else interested) as they ripen this coming summer, which is usually in the late August to September.

Their soil requirements are very similar to blueberries so if you have area in which your successfully growing blueberries they should do quite well there.

That’s absolutely fantastic that your father did work with protecting land for the huckleberries. Like so many other plant species these days, they can most certainly use all the help that they can get and before I moved here I had the displeasure of living next to land speculator myself so I’m well aware of just how little some of them care about protected areas.

I live in a fairly rural area that alternates between farmland, woods and native prairies. The Vaccinium ovatums and Vaccinium parvifolium are a relatively common understory species on the southern part of the island here. The specimens that I collect the seeds from are all located on my property. Two of the five acres we live on our native woodlands and the Vaccinium ovatum is one of the dominant species making up the understory on our property. They grow quite happily in the forest openings and edges beneath the Douglas firs and white pines. A few of them grow in the sun, but the berries on the ones in part shade taste far better.

Arejay59 (you definitely have some interesting goodies), Robynznest (I'd love to try some Missouri natives), flowerfantasy, imzadi, frausnow, synda and anyone else interested, just drop me a D-Mail if you’d like to be put on the list for Vaccinium ovatum seeds, in which case I'll let you know when these are ready in the summer (they usually ripen August/September).

We love to eat the berries but also try to leave plenty for the birds during the winter so knowing how many people are interested in seeds helps us from eating too many.

~Amanda

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Amanda, Please put me on your list for seeds when time comes.
Thanks

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i would be interested if any is still available plmk and thxs

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Amanda, I will gather more species this summer to send you.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Flowerfantasy, Moretz and Robynznest, I have you down for the seeds and will let you know as soon as they're ready. Robynznest, that sounds fantastic. I most certainly look forward to any interesting species that you're able to collect.

~Amanda

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.