Prayers please for our kitty Blake

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm about to get in the car with Blake, cutting our visit short so we can get him home to our vets and to his familiar surroundings. He was diagnosed yesterday with cancer of the liver (after being in excellent health for 18 years), and we're afraid he's fading on us. Please pray that he has a comfortable ride home. He'll be at the vet tomorrow to see what can be done to make him more comfortable (reducing fluid buildup etc.). He's still eating, drinking, and purrrrrrring, so we're not quite ready to give up, but I'm afraid we're about to lose our kitty companion. Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts.

edited to add an update to the top of the thread... Blake's cancer turned out to be much more treatable than we'd feared. He has been to the oncologist and is starting a course of medication that we hope will improve his liver function in short order. It's too soon to know if he'll respond to the meds, but we're hoping for some additional quality time for our kitty-boy... we're in a much more hopeful place today than we were a week ago, when we though he might have just days or a couple of weeks at most remaining.

Another update... Blake was sliding downhill the past couple of days, and we thought it was a bad reaction to some meds. This afternoon, tests revealed that he's got some sort of infection and is in acute renal failure. He'll go back tomorrow (and God willing for the next several days) for IV fluid therapy and get SQ fluids at night to try to restart his kidneys. He's also on antibiotics and some supportive meds. He perked up a little this evening, to our delight, and I don't think he has given up. So we're not giving up on him, either. If he can get through this crisis, the good news is that his liver function is excellent, so he seems to be responding to the lymphoma protocol. :-)

This message was edited Oct 28, 2008 11:38 PM

This thread has 237 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!