Compost pH for raised beds

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to add some compost to my raised beds. I found some bagged compost 'Texas Pure' that is produced by the City of Plano. This compost is certified by the US Composting Council’s Seal of Testing Assurance Program. They provide a data sheet that indicates a pH of 7.96. Is this too alkaline for my raised beds?

http://www.plano.gov/NR/rdonlyres/BDF41AE6-07BA-4EBB-9E67-47509A07883C/4403/STAResults1208.pdf

Thumbnail by fiddle
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Fiddle,

I think it is fine unless you plant things that need more acidic soil. Have you done a pH test on the soil that is already in your raised beds?

-Chad

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Chad,

A soil analysis is a good plan, I will get one and then determine what, if anything, may be needed.

About the pH - am surprised to see the compost testing alkaline. I thought that compost is always close to pH neutral (7.0) or slightly acid.

A few beds are presently filled with vinca, still lookin good, and a few more that are filled with vegetables (tomatoes, sweet peppers, squash, potatoes, okra, eggplant, cucumbers), that have done their duty for this year. The veggie beds are being cleared now and so I thought it would be a good idea to dig in some compost and let them rest over the winter. I am thinking that it would be good to replenish the beds each year as the soil decomposes and settles. Looks like the beds have settled about 3 inches over the last year.

I have on hand several bales of 1-year old wheat straw that are decomposing. Under what soil conditions would the straw bales be recommended as a soil amendment?

Same question - the pH 7.9 compost?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

The ph on the compost should not really have much effect on your bed and you can start adding the wheat straw as well. You might want to consider using a "cover crop" on those beds once you have all your composting materials in place. Not sure what's recommended for your area, I use annual rye grass on mine. But by using a cover crop you will protect the soil and choke out any weed seeds. Erosion is not much of a problem in a raised bed, but weeds always are a problem, anywhere. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I also think composted material should have a neutral pH, or very close to it. That is the problem I have with any store bought compost though, you never really know what went into it in the first place. With homemade stuff, you know the ingredients.

Maybe the compost wasn't fully composted when tested, or maybe it isn't really done now.

One thing I do know though- after amending my alkaline soil with my homemade compost for 20 years, I still have alkaline soil. If the pH has changed at all, it's very little. I mulch with my compost and organic mulches, I don't ever till or dig it in. Of course I don't make a huge amount of compost compared to the amount of native soil out there. I suspect it won't change the pH of your native soil very much or for very long if you use what you have.

Karen

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I just saw this post. I live in the same area as Fiddle. I assume the reason the compost p.H. is so high from the city of Plano is because the water they use is extremely high. I compost and if I use my hose to moisten the pile (which in hot dry Texas you have to) it raises the P.H. of even very acidic materials like oak leaves and coffee grounds. My soil p.H. and water both test at 8.3. Which would be about the same for Plano. So when they compost they are using organic matter that was grown in high alkalinity and water that is high in p.H. The action of composting may have lowered the p.H.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.