We're all hatching in a Brinsea Submarine (sing along now!)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Commander - that is just the cutest little baby silkie EVER!!!! What a sweetie! I think it is either grey or splash. My bet is not buff. $10 on not buff!!!

Commander Moxon is back from gala dinner and reporting further hatches as follows:

1 buff buttercup bantam
1 buttercup bantam
1 silver buttercup bantam
2 Delaware blue hens

One buttercup is behaving oddly. It is craning its neck backwards until it falls over on its back. Constantly. I stopped the neck craning by putting my finger on the back of its neck and then it fell asleep. Will this stop? What can I do? Do I have to euthanize it? It is peeping loudly.

Mox over.

Lodi, United States

If it was craning forward I would say wry-neck. Maybe try the same treament--Vitamine E with Selenium?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Will go and administer poly-vi-sol infant vitamin stuff.

Lodi, United States

I would start with that, but get the Vitamin E with Selenium gel caps tomorrow--if they are going to work, they kick in fast.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, will pick that up tomorrow. I made him/her a little fleece scarf and wrapped it around so the neck doesn't keep flipping back. I gave him/her some fat free half and half (hopefully calcium in there) because something I found on line said to give calcivet for head flipping over back. Gave the baby vitamins. Must hit the hay. Hoping for the best.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Commander Jordan reporting arrival of new life form at 1am. Same color as last one. 2 more on the way. New life form kept me awake till almost revelly. It was really squalling all night.
over

edited to say my bet is splash

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 6:54 AM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Commander Moxon reporting 3 more hatches:
1 Blue Hen of Delaware
1 Salmon Faverolle
1 Rosecomb bantam

Commander Moxon has 5 more pips. Unfortunately one pipped egg has a dead chick in it. I hate it when that happens. Grumble.... It's so unfair that they make it that far and then poof...

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

So sorry Commander

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Commander Jordan happy to report another life form just landed

Thumbnail by jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

another veiw

Lodi, United States

Congratulation Commander Jordan! I hope to have as succesfull a mission as you and Commander Moxon this weekend.

Commander Moxon, how is flippy life form doing?

(Zone 7b)

Congratulations Commander Jordan "Well Done" I see happy little life forms and cute as a button to boot!!

Clarksburg, MO

I would like to know what causes the head back and flipping over syndrome. When we went to Jacob's cave a friend of ours brought 20 or so baby chicks. They were all fine and healthy. Then after he had them unloaded, several got weak and started flipping their heads back. I immediately got them on pedilyte and after 2 hours or so, they all seemed to come out of it. Is it an electolyte inbalance???

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Commander Catscan, Good luck on your mission this week. Aftertoday, my next mission will be Oct.30

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

that sounds like an idea there Shelia. it very well could be.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I have decided they are blue silkies

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

What's pedilyte? Maybe I should get some? He is not getting any better. He is still flipping and if he tries to stand, as soon as I take my finger off the back of its head, the neck arches back until he rolls over on his back and then he can't get up. It's really sad. I want to help it. The poly-vi-sol isn't doing anything and it has lots of vitamin E in it.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

pedilyte is what you give babies and toddlers to keep them from getting dehydrated. you can buy i at any drug store and most grocery stores. should be with th formula

(Zone 7b)

Claire go to your chicken health handbook and look up Congenital Tremor and see if it's that.

Lodi, United States

If the vitamin E is going to help it needs the selenium--very high dose. Contents of gelcap--syringe it in his beak. Not the whole thing--but some.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Commander Moxon very sad to report 3 chick deaths - both the salmon faverolles and one silver buttercup. Mox very disheartened. No obvious reasons. Suspect congenital tremor (100% fatal) in other chick, which is total of 5 deaths. Ugh. Lots of lively buttercups though, and some nice looking Delaware that are more black than blue. And a couple of rosecomb banties.

Next hatch - porcelain d'uccles and millies on Oct 16.

Hope your hatch is progressing well, Commander Jordan.

This Commander is ready for Taps to sound on the trumpets so she can hit the hay.

(Zone 7b)

Claire don't be too upset you have no way of knowing the true stock your eggs came from and the deaths could very well be genetic and in no way caused by you.
When you purchase eggs online you are buying them blind and you can't actually see the parent's or know that what the person who is selling them is telling you about them is true.
Sometimes all some folks care about is makeing a buck and could care less who they cheat or hurt.

I'm sorry for your loss and if you need a shoulder i'm here.

{{{{HUG}}} ****Harmony****

Lodi, United States

The hen's nutrition is also critical--and some people just don't get it.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

do da dooooo do dao dooOOOO .....

Mox,
Really sad, so hard I know when they don't make it. So sorry, sometimes there really is nothing you can do for them. Please feel better. A good nights rest and you can wake up and feel a little better.
Seth

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Claire, I am so sorry for your loss. You did your best, and that is all any of us can do.
I helped my last one out of the shell last nite It is very tiny, but still alive. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will survive.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Morning all. I feel a little better I suppose. It is hard to feel too sad when I have so many little puffballs running around.

I have another odd one. He can't seem to stand. He pushes himself along the floor with belly still touching. He just looks more like a seal than a chick. Any thoughts on that one?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Claire, glad your feeling better.

sorry for you lose.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

here is one that hatched yesterday

Oh how cute, what flavor is this one?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

a silkie, gonna get a pic. of the tiny one in a minute

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh Commander Jordan - adorable! It looks partridge to me.

Is that supposed to be another "buff silkie"?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes commander another buff silkie! i was thinking partride also.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'm thinking you got mixed silkie eggs. Do they all have the 5 toes?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

this is tiny tot the tiny one

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

this one has fout toes on one foot, and 4 toes with a little toe on a big toe

just to cute.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Claire I remember reading awhile back somebody had made a sling necklace for her lame chick, had litte bitty leg holes and hung it around her neck and carried it with her everywhere.. even to work..
Anybody remember that.. who was it... fess up.. I know it was one of us... SILKIECHICK???

Lodi, United States

I remember that too, frans!

Commander Moxon, I had a Buckeye chick that behaved the way you are describing. Its hip sockets had not formed properly and after 3 days I took it to the vet and they euthanized it. It was hard because it was otherwise very healthy. I strapped it into a little egg carton cup and it ate and drank and interacted with the other chicks. It is the only chick I've lost after hatching. I think the person who carried theirs in a little sling did it to help the hips stablize--and it might work if the problem is not too severe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.