Newbie questions

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,

Based on TPlant & other's success growing tomatoes in EB's, I've decided to buy one/some for my Dad (who is in his mid 80's). He loves it when I gift him tomato plants (in pots) on Father's Day, but doesn't always water as often as he should.

I have some questions:
1) I've read many negative reviews of the "new" EB's (on Gardner's Supply), complaining of lack of drainage holes, resulting in rot. What are your experiences with the "new" boxes? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, which doesn't get much rain, so this may be less of any issue here. I'm assuming there are no resources for the "original" EB's.

2) I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the standard EB's or the ones meant for tomatoes, which come with the soil mix & cage - any suggestions/wisdom about which to purchase?

3) Lastly, he only grows two tomato plants - one cherry & one bigger type - do I need one or two boxes?

Thanks so much for your help! And I apologize if I'm asking questions, which have been addressed in other threads - I reviewed the "self-contained box" threads & didn't find the info I need.

Liz

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't know how many plants can be placed in the Gardeners Box but a cherry tomato grows quite large and if he likes beefsteaks they also need space. I grow both in one single EB so you decide? One or two?

Corte Madera, CA

Hi, Liz. I'm from San Diego (coastal) and true it doesn't rain there much (Emerald Hills close to 94). However, winter here in the San Francisco Bay Area can get pretty wet. I still have tomatoes growing on the deck, and I will roll them in when we will get rain days at a time.

Though a beginner, I have both TSK (Tomato Success Kit) from Gardener's and Earth Box.

I like the TSK value-wise for the tomatoes since it comes with the cage and ships free with a coupon code. Two (2) tomato plants.

I like the EB because the set up is so easy. Two (2) tomato plants.

Happy Gardening!

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Moonglow & Tplant. I've just ordered the tomato success kit for my Dad. Moonglow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that winter, here, will be wet. I think you get more rain than we do & we sure do need it!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

We get a lot of very heavy rain here also but I never bother moving my EBs as they can not be overwatered and as long as the tomato plants are staked there is no need to worry.

Corte Madera, CA

Thanks, Tplant.

Liz, two (2) TSKs arrived today! Woo-hoo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.