NAME THIS BROMELAID

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi. I need the name of this this bromeliad please

Thumbnail by sammut
Townsville, Australia

Like many other genera there are numerous hybrids of these around. Anyone who says they can name them from photos is mistaken. It is better to have a plant without a name (Nomen nudem) than one wrongly named ( Nomen illigitum) I have seen many plants with the wrong name and this can cause confusion. If you have one that has been given a GUEGGED name and spread it around to others in your area, later someone will buy the correctly named one and be told they have been taken by the nursery. Do we grow plants just to look at lables.? I have thousands of species here and few have labels although , if asked I could name most if not all of them. Enjoy them for what they are and not for lables as INTERNET EXPERTS will invariably give a wrong name from a photograph.

Hi Thanks for answering I really enjoy my plants and I trying to learn all can about them ----Sammut.

Townsville, Australia

I am not having a go at you for wanting to know which plant you have but I go to peoples gardens where every one has a lable. On checking them half will be wrongly named. Cacti are the worst because there are many which look similar even though they not only different species but different genera or more than likely a hybrid. We do a count of major and minor sines, of ribs and check the shape of areoles . Check the size, petal count and size of flowers before giving a definate yes or no to its specific name. Some cacti are very easily identified but others are almost impopssible for the amateur.
I recently saw a cactus in this forum identified as Disocactus ,( Rat tail cactus Shown in photo .) when it was more than likely a member of a differnt Genus as seen in the next photograph.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut
Townsville, Australia

What I am saying is enjoy yor plants and flowers for what they are, not for the lable. If they have a Botanical name tag, so much the better ,but a common name is just as good. Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Hi Bob It did not enter my mind thate you was having a go at me I really appreciate any help or advice I receive thanks ----Sammut.

They are very nice ones Sammut ...I think you treat them the same as the others.

H Chrissy this pot is one of my new ones this has differant flowers it did not have aname on it .------Sammut.

Thumbnail by sammut

Very nice sammut ...don't get a fright when after flowering the plant seems to start to die ...what happens is that the "mother plant" will produce little babies from the sides these are called pups.
Sue will be able to tell you more when she has a moment.

Townsville, Australia

Hello Samut. The one in front appears to be in the same general group as these two. The flowers are small and don,t show above the cup of the plant. Kay, my wife calls them the chandelier plants. If let grow they can make a beautiful hanging basket as they don,t die for several years after flowering. Most broms die when they finish flowering and grow one or two pups. Don,t remove the pups until they have a reasonable root system, then pot themin an open mix. Almost all broms are epiphytes,
that measns they grow on trees not on the ground so they don,t like a heavy poptting mix or to be kept wet. Enjoy your garden, Bob.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Hi Bob would it be possible thate I could get the plant to grow on a palm tree if so how would I do it ----Sammut

Townsville, Australia

Where they grow naturally there are are lots of ferns on the branches which collect leaf debris and that is what these grow in.
to grow them on trees here we need to tie a u shaped basket to the tree and fillit with a brom mix. It looks good when they have
grown out and covered the pot. The small types like Kays chandelier will fill a large basket in only 2 or 3 years. The larger top one
is much slower. The bags of orchid mix that Bunnings sells are not too bad for broms. The family to grow on bare trees is the
Tillandsias but they are flamin expensive. Even Bunnings want $7.00 each for single growth ones.

Thumbnail by SpeciesNut

Thank you so much I will be going to Bunnings sat.week it will all be on my shoping list ----------sammut.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Sammut, in your first pic, it looks as though you have 3 different plants in one pot? the red flowered one is a Vriesea, but I'm not sure about the yellow finished flower, or the other.
In your second Brom photo, the tall greyish leaved one in the pink pot is an Aechmea fasciata, and will have a pink, spikey torch like flower. The little ones in the basket in front are Neoregelias, probly a hybrid of N.'Fireball', they should do very well in a tree and in quite bright light!
The stripey one at the back, is most likely Aechmea gamosepala 'Lucky Stripe' but don't quote me until it flowers!
The little one in front of that could possible be a Neoregelia also, unsure though.
And in the middle, is that rhoeo? (Moses in the cradle)

Thanks Sue the aechmea fasciala is starting to show pale pink petal in the middle I wont have to
wait long for it to flower .-
yes its moses in the cradle - to-morrow Iam going to put N' Fireball on the palm fingers crossed I dont drop the basket it as I tie it all to gether .

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Good job Sammut! The N. Fireball x should go a lovely shade of red if you DONT fertilise it and give it some morning sun, so if you are able, place it on the eastern side of your palm. If not, then late afternoon light is also acceptable. Sometimes, I just tie the plants on with a pair of pantyhose, which rots away in time, usually the plant has attached itself by then. Post another picture when you're done! You could fly past on your carpet to reach higher up the tree!

Yes it's all coming along very well ...good luck mounting your Brom to the palm.

Hi , The first one done the next one I will tie the the plant right on the tree I have 12 palms in the yard so plenty of space to get it right .
here is pic. of no.1

Thumbnail by sammut
Coffs Harbour, Australia

That looks good! Did you use an old palm frond?

Yes its a old fallen piece of fond and tree bark .

Coffs Harbour, Australia

very clever Sammut!

Yes well done!

Thanks every one .

Coffs Harbour, Australia

just dropping in to move bobs thread down a notch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.