Iris identification

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I am really an amateur when it comes to irises. I put in a bunch several years ago that was labeled (when I bought it) as iris versicolor. I know this is ridiculous, but I don't remember seeing them bloom, so I can't tell you what the blooms look like. But to my horror, this year the foliage grew to 40", and is sprawling all over the place. It looks awful. Iris versicolor is supposed to be 2'- 3'. This is way too tall. The foliage is 1" wide.

Any idea what it is? Could it be versicolor? Can I cut it back now?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

40 inches would be tall for a versicolor. They are usually up to about 3' max. But I suppose under really wet and fertile conditions it could be that tall. Some of the versicolors have leaves up to about an inch wide, and the species can be sprawling, but usually the leaves are graceful and arching. Often the leaves are tinted purple at the base. It could also be a versicolor cross.

Maybe you could post a picture when it blooms next year.

And yes, you can cut them back now, to about 3 inches.

Here's a pic that shows the leaves on one of my versicolors.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2008 6:11 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, here's a photo of my ugly sprawling plant. As I said above, the foliage is 40".

Again, does anyone have any guesses as to what kind of animal it might be?

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 9:45 AM

Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

Species tend to have that 'species look' - some better than others. My picture is is of a Species-X (cross) - is extremly robust and I use it to hold a bank of dirt in place. This one has a attractive bloom - and if it has some shade, the foliage is very impressive as dark green with a red-purple base.

If you are unhappy with yours - perhaps just move it to another more suited place that is not in you 'garden-proper'. I find these will grow just about anywhere and use them where I want to keep other things from growing as the roots can be very dense.

Thumbnail by hespiris
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I still can't tell. It could be a versicolor. It seems to have the versicolor grey green leaves, but not the width of the normal versicolor leaves. It could also be siberian. But it definitely looks like it needs division. I think that might be contributing to the sprawl. Cut it back now, and divide it in early spring. Post some pictures of the flowers when it blooms, please.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Polly; I'll do that.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome.

Most of the beardless are hard to tell just from the leaves. Japanese iris have a ridge in them, so they are easy to identify, but the versicolors, and sibs are a lot alike.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I cut it way back yesterday -- it was a total disgrace. I don't even recall it blooming last year, so its future in my yard may be limited!

While I have your ear, should I be cutting all the iris in my yard back now? Or wait until spring?

South Hamilton, MA

We cut back the beardless iris at this time so it isn't as difficult to work in the bed next spring. Do not cut back bearded iris plants, just remove browning leaves & other debrie around the bases of the plants.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad I asked -- I cut a couple bearded ones back in a burst of energy yesterday. Now I'll stop!

LaFollette, TN(Zone 6a)

Somehow, I always thought that TB's were supposed to be cut back after the first freeze???

Lebanon, OR

It is what you like...I know many say NOT but remember that commerical growers cut them all back to about 6-8" every year and all you have to do is to see the bloom at the growers to know it will not harm them.

If you do not cut them back then clean and remove all dead or dying leaves in fall.

D

South Hamilton, MA

We don't cut bearded back--do remove brown leaves as Dee says.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Dee, just curious. Why do commercial growers cut their iris back each year. Is this part of the replanting process or is it for some other reason?

Lebanon, OR

Because most years we dig the entire field, divide, trim and replant.

Otherwise I do not bother to trim in my own garden at all, unless it is blocking something that blooms later and I want the beauty of that plant do showcase.

Hope this helps

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the explanation. I always heard that they were trimmed so the rhizomes won't have to support so much leaf area until it builds more roots. Therefore it is unnecessary for iris which are staying in the same place. For me, I don't trim unless I am transplanting. I have enough work to do without that. I agree that it doesn't hurt, but I do know people who faithfully trim their iris every year even when they aren't being divided and transplanted.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

These were trimmed hard in mid june after blooming due to severe leaf
spotting and poor ventilation.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

These were not trimmed due to a better environment. The trimmed ones
above have fewer and smaller increases and the main rhizomes will be
smaller and weaker next season. All the more experienced growers on
this forum say do not trim in mid season unless you have a major disease
problem and you need to clean the beds. You will be cheating yourself
out of a more vigorous bloom next season.

These pics were taken today. Some are trying to rebloom.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Des Plaines, IL

I have just finished cutting back my iris. Here in northern Illinois the leaves will just freeze hard and be of no use to the plant. I have found that leaving the leaves on just traps tree leaves, and they are a mess to clean up in the spring. I don't know about warmer climates, it may be helpful to leave them on. I guess with all the different climates we have here in the US there are no hard and fast answers, just what seems to work for you. Marge

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I think the caveat about trimming was for during the growing season. I have
been under the impression it is best to trim and clean the beds late in the fall
then meticulously clean them again in the early spring in order to prevent iris
borers from hatching and also help prevent diseases.

(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know what a "Ocelot German Iris" looks like?

South Hamilton, MA

That is a TB bearded iris--cultivar name 'Ocelot', don't happen to know it. early on when bearded irises were named 'germanica' nurseries started calling the german iris. Is there a picture of Ocelot in the plant files?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Here is the pic...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/39308/

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I cut some of my TBs back to about 3" the other day. They look very neat and tidy. The foliage was very floppy after the recent (and current) hard freeze. I had never trimmed iris in the fall before, but after seeing borers for the first time this past season -- I consider this Phase I of borer control. (I'll apply Imadacloprid in the early spring.) I agree with uallady in her post above. In northern Illinois the foliage only serves to trap leaves and other debris. I'll leave (no pun intended) my newly planted iris alone until spring, however.

Lebanon, OR

Ocelot

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ooowww. Ocelot is lovely.

Lebanon, OR

Yes, it is and it is doing well with some hybridizing, as a pod parent.

D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.