glass mosaic house number catastrophy

Waterville, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi
My name is Brenda. I have been a member since March 2008 and doing stained glass mosaics for about one year. I was offered a small commission to make 2 house number signs. These signs were to be left outside all year long. I live in Maine where it does get below zero sometimes. I did lots of research. What I used was:
MDF 1/2 inch thick, sealed with Welbond 100% no dilution
Liquid nails poly adhesive
mapei keracolor grout
I mosaiced the entire piece of MDF...top and sides included. I drilled holes for 2 eye hooks for hanging. The sign was GORGEOUS!!

The grout and glass started coming apart after being hung up for one week. The weather was not cold enough at night for a frost. I think it was the MDF (not exterior) that was the problem. Can you help me? Should I have used hardibacker board with a piece of plywood in the middle? How would I have hung that up? Help as I need to make 2 more. Thanks

Brendaj57
Winslow, Maine.

Thumbnail by brendaj57
This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!