Hydrangeas and deer: can they coexist?

Saint Louis, MO

I am moving to a new place that will have deer. I was wondering what Davesgarden members do for their hydrangeas to prevent deer damage?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh dear (pun intended; hee hee hee), truonger! I sure am glad there are no deer to also have to deal with over here. Just squirrels, possums, wabbits, squirrels, armadillos, squirrels, etc.

I have heard of people using these commercial products against deer: Ro-pel Deer Repellent (also known as Grant's Deer Repellent), Deer Off, Bobbex Deer Repellent, Plantskydd and Liquid Fence (check local nurseries, Lowes and HD). Bobbex with Plantskydd do not need to be reapplied after a rain so that is nice. I would suggest alternating applications any two commercial products just so Bamby does not get used to the odor.

And some people use chicken wire or create an egg-based spray with water & cayenne pepper powder (I do not make it so, sorry, I do not have a "recipe"). Milorganite's smell is claimed to help by some people (that is a fertilizer). And some people like motion activated water sprayers.

By the way, I seem to notice a lot more posts talking about damage to paniculatas, oakleafs and arborescens than the other species (macrophyllas, etc).... I do not know what to make out of that?!?

If you do ever have some damage, I would cut the affected stems down to the next set of buds / leaf nodes. Then again, some deer like them so much that they eat them to the stub.

Luis

Saint Louis, MO

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I have seen Liquid Fence for a lot of money at the local nursery. I was also told Milorganite by a landscapist.
One friend of mine said she has an electrified fence around her vegetable garden. I wonder if I could do that just around the perimeter of the house....

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, some of the products can be expensive, which is a reason to use products that do not require reapplying after it rain. I used Liquid Fence for rabbits several years ago. They seem to have moved elsewhere. At the time that I purchased Liquid Fence locally, I did not look for price alternatives on mail order companies.

Starkville, MS

Truongr-----I have battled deer for years and years-------and I have found that only a fence, a barking dog or a shot gun will solve the problem. Those smelly remedies will eventually fail you. For many years I utilized the Deer netting from Lowe's which is easy to use and cheap. It is so light weight you can drape it over the bushes---------but, you have the problem of the plants growing through it. (One side advantage is if it is wadded up on the ground, a snake cannot get through it----which is wonderful at the base of a pole or tree with a bird box.) I am using an electric fence finally. When it was installed (and it is like a ribbon) I put peanut butter on it to attrack the nose of the deer to it to alert them of the danger. Some times it doesn't bother the hairy hide on them.

Saint Louis, MO

Shirleyd can you send a picture of the electric fence?
Is is better to do your entire property ( I have six acres) or just the area around your house? Do you have a single wire or multiple?
Is the fence powered by a car battery or hooked up to your circuit?
Tell me, tell me.
I have vision of having a huge hydrangea collection through my wooded area and survive the deer.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Sounds like you want to fence the entire area instead of just around the house. But to cover six acres, you may need to connect to the grid or to several power sources! Promise to post pictures when you end up with the "huge hydrangea collection", truongr!

Starkville, MS

Truongr---I am limited in my knowledge about the electric fence. Due to my age and limitations I had to hire a young man to install it. The fences are readily available in my area at the local Cooperative, and many people do install their own. I have several separate flower beds that are loosely connected, and most of the fence is joined together. Recently I sent a picture of a Paniculata Grandiflora, and the fence (which looks like a ribbon) was in it. I will try to locate the picture again and send it to this thread. The area where I do not have the fence and been chewed to the ground.

Shirleyd

Starkville, MS

Truongr---I have found a picture showing my electric fence. For mowing purposes I put down a grass killer, filled in with gravel and then used brick to outline it and make it look neater.

Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Starkville, MS

Truongr-----when I first put it up, it was suggested that I put peanut butter on a few spots of the fence to attract the deer-----and get their nose on the fence rather than their thick hair. That was supposed to get their attention and teach them to stay away from that area. So far, it has worked--

Shirleyd

By the way I have accidentally touched it several times myself-----just to let you know that I am not electrocuting the little "dears"--

Saint Louis, MO

Hi Luis,
I hope you'll continue to subscribe to Dave's list because my hydrangea collection is part of a 10 year project for my farm. I was inspired by the Shamrock garden in Normandy, France, I saw in 07. It was a beautiful setting with tall trees and hydrangeas of every kind in the undergrowth. I'll try to post the picture when I find it again.
Shirleyd you make me laugh. I am not very tender hearted at all. You see I have two young kids ( 7 and 2) and my husband was worried about this idea. But I told him that if my sons can't listen to their mama, they will learn the hard way.... I like the peanut butter suggestion. Perhaps it'll work on the kids too! LOL.
BTW thanks for posting the picture, I am glad the fence doesn't need to look like Fort Knox.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

truongr, I came across an interesting blog on deer and rabbits. You may want ot check it out when you have time:

http://blog.gardenharvestsupply.com/2008/10/09/deer-repellent/

Saint Louis, MO

Thanks Luis_pr I looked at the electronic deer repellent. It sounds like a cool idea but its more pricey than a standard electric fence ($68 per 1200 sq ft for the former) anmd I have 6 acres!

Port Sanilac, MI

my receipe for deer repelient is 1 cup milk, one egg, 1/4 cup cooking oil, a squirt of liquid dish soap. Blend and add one gallon of water. Works for me on the hostas. Lots cheaper than commerical and works in a sprayer. Don't know if the ones with the cayanne pepper would spray or clog.

Also, I know www.cutlersupply.com has a solar light that blinks a red eye and is supposed to deter the deer. If it doesn't work, it has a money back guarantee. I hope to get one for Christmas :) so I don't personally know if it works.

Starkville, MS

In my 20 years of gardening and dealing with deer-----I have tried them all----every concoction you can make---human hair----animal urine--radio on----mothballs, etc. Many of these things work temporarily. But, it came down to only a few things that really work indefinitely-----a shotgun (not practical in a populated area and could get you in jail)----a fence (electric is my preference, tall wooden one or the netting type). Some times a barking dog left outside at night will work-------------but that brings up other problems. By the way, the deer netting fence that I mentioned will also keep snakes out of your garden if you let it fold up on the ground. They cannot get through it-------------------but, suprise that has a down side. The critters that they normally eat will thrive in your garden-------------voles!!! Lost all my hostas that way-----------so, I turned to the electric fence. I realize that I have said much of this before----forgive me

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I used the egg mixed and it works pretty good. You do have to reapply once a month. We just bought a dog, so may be that will help in the near future.

Oops - edited to say i forgot to post link:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/06520.html

This message was edited Nov 18, 2008 11:39 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.