Collards

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

If I were to put collards in an EB, how many would anyone suggest?

Corte Madera, CA

6 (greens) per EB Guide. However, I listen to first hand experience of DG EBers over others.

http://www.earthbox.com/consumer/grow.html

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

2busy, collards will get to be huge plants, especially in an EB. I'd go with only 2 per box and prime the leaves as it grows rather than pull a whole plant at one time. That'll give you an extended harvest as well as keep one plant from blocking out the sun of the other one.

Shoe

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Never grew collards but what I've seen in the markets they do have large leaves. It is
amazing what you can put in an EB. Try three? If they grow to big remove the center one just remember you must plant them on the extreme opposite side of the fertilizer strip and do add dolomite lime. I plant six okra to the EB and they do very well and we have more than enough for the family and the plants are huge..

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Shoe,
Is that the same for all the greens? I'm sowing mustards, collards, turnips and spinach seeds tomorrow in my 5 EBs. I'm also sowing seeds for brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and Sugar Snap peas in my homemade eBuckets. I figure two plants each of the greens to 1 EB, and one plant of the others to a bucket.

Is that about right?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

No, G-girl, all greens are not the same. Collard, cabbage, B-sprouts, cauliflower are grown as individual plants; "greens" (mustard, turnip salad, kale, rape, etc) are usually grown broadcast. Planting just one plant of mustard or turnip, etc would be a waste of time/space as you would not get enough off it to eat.

For Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, the EB folks recommend 6 seedlings/EB. They also recommend 6 seedlings of greens but if you go that route I'd choose something that would really give you a crop, like Swiss Chard. (You can harvest Swiss Chard for a couple years if you like!)

Collards would be a great "green" to grow but as I said further up this thread I'd restrict it to two plants; one collard plant will easily reach a size of 2 and a half to 3 ft wide in the ground so you can imagine how big it could get in an Earthbox, eh?

Regarding your Sugar Snaps, I'd sow them in your grow buckets so the seeds are about 2-3 inches apart. They grow very well in close proximity and that would ensure that you get a great amount to harvest! Yummy!

Hope this helps! Will be looking forward to pics!

Shoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.